Columbus Crew SC's Zack Steffen and Wil Trapp Receive International Call-Ups from the United States Men's National Team
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew SC today announced that goalkeeper Zack Steffen and midfielder Wil Trapp have received international call-ups from the United States Men's National Team. The U.S. is set to face Colombia in a friendly match at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla. on October 11 before facing Peru at Pratt & Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Conn. on October 16.
The matches against Colombia and Peru are part of four currently scheduled friendlies for the U.S. Men's National Team for the remainder of the year. The friendly against Colombia is set to be the 20th all-time match against the South American nation, as well as the first encounter between the two countries since facing each other in the 2016 Copa America Centenario Third Place Match at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz. on June 25, 2016. The match against Peru is set to be the seventh all-time meeting between the U.S. and Peru, with the two teams last facing each other in a friendly at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. on September 4, 2015.
Goalkeeper Zack Steffen has earned five caps with the U.S. Men's National Team, with his latest cap coming in a friendly against Mexico on September 11, 2018. Steffen started the match and made three saves en route to registering a shutout and helping the Stars and Stripes win 1-0.
Steffen is in his third season with Crew SC and has made 26 regular-season appearances (all starts), while registering 10 shutouts in 2018. The goalkeeper recorded a 525-minute shutout streak in regular-season action from a home match against the San Jose Earthquakes (April 28) to a home contest against Atlanta United FC (June 13), the longest regular-season shutout streak in Crew SC history and the eighth longest in MLS history. Additionally, the 23-year-old Steffen made a second-half appearance in goal in the 2018 MLS All-Star Game against Italian side Juventus, making three saves in match action, his first All-Star appearance.
Crew SC captain Wil Trapp has represented the U.S. at the senior level on eight occasions. Most recently, Trapp wore the captain's armband and played a full 90 minutes in the Americans' 1-0 win over Mexico on September 11.
In 2018, Trapp's sixth season with the Black & Gold, he has made 27 regular-season appearances (26 starts), while providing one assist and scoring one goal - a stoppage-time, game-winning strike in a home contest against Orlando City SC on July 21. Additionally, Trapp is one of only three players to have completed over 3,500 passes in MLS regular-season action since the beginning of the 2017 season, boasting the highest passing accuracy percentage among players who have attempted at least 4,000 passes over that span (88.42 percent).
Crew SC's current roster features eight players that have received a senior National Team call-up while with the club: Mohammed Abu, Harrison Afful, Cristian Martinez, Jonathan Mensah, Justin Meram, Zack Steffen, Wil Trapp and Gyasi Zardes.
Crew SC returns to action with a road contest against the Montreal Impact at Stade Saputo on Saturday, October 6 (3:00 p.m. ET / CW Columbus, Spectrum Sports, BCSN2, CD102.5 FM, English and Spanish audio broadcasts available on ColumbusCrewSC.com).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 1, 2018
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 1, 2018 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Travel to Face D.C. United on Sunday - Chicago Fire
- Three Atlanta United Players Called-Up for International Duty - Atlanta United FC
- Red Bulls' Adams, Long Named to USMNT Roster for October Friendlies - New York Red Bulls
- Bradley Called into United States National Team - Toronto FC
- Reggie Cannon Called to U.S. Men's National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew SC's Zack Steffen and Wil Trapp Receive International Call-Ups from the United States Men's National Team - Columbus Crew SC
- Ben Sweat Earns First USMNT Call-Up - New York City FC
- DC SCORES Host Their "One Night One Goal" Gala at Audi Field on October 4 - D.C. United
- New York Red Bulls and Southern New Hampshire University to Host 3rd Annual Vocational Day - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Names Neil McGuinness as Director of Scouting
- Columbus Crew SC Faces the Montreal Impact at Stade Saputo this Afternoon
- Columbus Crew SC Sends Jon Kempin, Luis Argudo and JJ Williams on Loan
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Faces New England Revolution Tomorrow
- Columbus Crew SC to Induct the Late Sigi Schmid into Crew SC's Circle of Honor on Saturday, June 29