Columbus Crew SC Midfielder Mohammed Abu Set to Go on Season-Long
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew SC today announced it has loaned midfielder Mohammed Abu to Valerenga Fotball of Norway's First Division on a season-long loan pending receipt of a P-1 Visa.
"Mohammed is a quality player, and this decision was made in an effort to get him the minutes to continue his development," said Sporting Director and Head Coach Gregg Berhalter. "We believe that playing for Valerenga provides Mohammed with valuable match action that will allow him to grow as a player."
Abu, 26, was signed by Crew SC on January 24, 2017. To date, the midfielder has made 24 regular-season appearances (14 starts) while providing one assist. Additionally, Abu made three appearances (two starts) in the 2017 MLS Cup Playoffs, helping the Black & Gold reach the Eastern Conference Championship. Prior to joining Crew SC, he had stints with Stromsgodset IF of Norway's Eliteserien, FC Lorient of France's Ligue 1 and Rayo Vallecano of Spain's La Liga.
Crew SC returns to action tomorrow, Saturday, August 11, when it hosts the Houston Dynamo at MAPFRE Stadium (7:30 p.m. ET / CW Columbus, Spectrum Sports, BCSN2, CD102.5 FM, English and Spanish audio broadcasts available on ColumbusCrewSC.com ).
TRANSACTION : Crew SC loans midfielder Mohammed Abu to Valerenga Fotball of Norway's Eliteserien on August 10, 2018 pending receipt of a P-1 Visa.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 10, 2018
- MLS Issues Disciplinary Committee Decisions - MLS
- Timbers Weekly Update: August 10, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- LAFC to Begin Three-Match Homestand on Saturday Night against Sporting KC - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Loan Nicolas Del Grecco to USL Affiliate Tulsa Roughnecks FC - Chicago Fire
- Impact Visits Real Salt Lake Late Saturday Night - Montreal Impact
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Houston Dynamo Tomorrow at MAPFRE Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- Preview: Sporting KC Set for Inaugural Meeting with LAFC - Sporting Kansas City
- Match Preview: Philadelphia Union vs. New England Revolution - Philadelphia Union
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Colorado Rapids Sign Midfielder Cole Bassett as Homegrown Player - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Loan Diego Campos and Elliot Collier to Indy Eleven - Chicago Fire
- LAFC Issues Statement on the U.S. Open Cup Adjudication & Discipline Panel Decision - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC Midfielder Mohammed Abu Set to Go on Season-Long - Columbus Crew SC
- New York City FC and Manchester City Announce New Global Partnership With Unilever's Anti-Perspirant Brand, Rexona - New York City FC
- MNUFC Match Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Orlando City SC on Sunday
- Statement from Precourt Sports Ventures
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Stade Saputo to Face the Montreal Impact Today
- Four Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups
- Columbus Crew SC Transfers Midfielder Mohammed Abu to Norwegian First Division Side Valerenga Fotball