Columbus Crew SC Acquires Brazilian Midfielder Robinho from Ceara Sporting Club of Brazil's First Division
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew SC today announced that the club has acquired Brazilian 23-year-old midfielder Francisco Wellington Barbosa de Lisboa, better known as Robinho (pronounced: roh-BEAN-yo), from Ceara SC of Brazil's First Division for an undisclosed transfer fee. The midfielder has made 119 appearances across all competitions in Brazil, scoring 14 goals. He will officially be added to the Black & Gold roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P-1 Visa and will occupy an international roster slot on Crew SC's roster.
"We want to welcome Robinho to Columbus Crew SC as he is a young and dynamic wide attacking midfielder with tireless energy," said Crew SC President Tim Bezbatchenko. "At 23, Robinho brings experience from more than 100 matches across all competitions in Brazil and we look forward to watching him continue to develop as we believe he adds depth at our wide attacking midfielder position."
The Brazilian midfielder last played for Ceara Sporting Club in Brazil's First Division during the second half of the 2018 season, where he made two appearances in the Brazilian First Division - Serie A - following a loan stint at Santa Cruz Futebol Clube of Brazil's Third Division during the first half of the 2018 season. While at Santa Cruz, Robinho made 37 appearances across all competitions for Santa Cruz, scoring eight goals. In addition to making 18 appearances in Serie C, Robinho also made 11 appearances (all starts) in the Campeonato Pernambucano, one appearance (one start) in the Copa do Brasil and eight appearances (seven starts) in the Copa do Nordeste.
Robinho began his career with Itapipoca Esporte Clube, where he made nine appearances and scored one goal in the Campeonato Cearaense, before joining Ceara Sporting Clube. From 2014-2018, Robinho made 37 appearances for Ceara Sporting Club, while also featuring for other clubs. In 2014, he made eight appearances (one start) in Serie B and the Copa do Brasil for Ceara. The 2015 season saw Robinho play for Ceara and Associacao Desportiva Confianca, making 20 appearances (six starts) for Ceara in Serie B and the Copa do Brasil as well as 10 appearances (all starts) for Confianca in Serie C, with the midfielder scoring three goals for the latter.
Robinho split his time between Ceara and Esporte Clube Novo Hamburgo in 2016. The midfielder made six appearances (three starts) for Ceara in Serie B and the Copa do Brasil, as well as 13 appearances (six starts) for Novo Hamburgo in the Campeonato Gaucho, scoring two goals. In 2017, Robinho played once for Ceara in Serie B, before joining for Cuiaba Esporte Clube on loan, where he made 12 appearances (five starts) across Serie C, the Copa do Brasil and the Copa Verde.
TRANSACTION: Columbus Crew SC acquires midfielder Robinho from Brazil First Division side Ceara Sporting Club for an undisclosed transfer fee on January 18, 2019. He will officially be added to the Black & Gold roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P-1 Visa will occupy an international roster slot on Crew SC's roster.
Name: Robinho (roh-BEAN-yo)
Born: January 19, 1995 in Senador Pompeu, Brazil
Hometown: Madalena, Brazil
Acquired: Acquired by Crew SC from Ceara Sporting Club on January 18, 2019
Previous Experience: Ceara Sporting Club (2014-2018), Santa Cruz Futebol Clube (2018), Cuiaba Esporte Clube (2017), Esporte Clube Novo Hamburgo (2016), Associacao Esportiva Confianca (2015), Itapipoca Esporte Clube (2014)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 18, 2019
- LAFC Announces Time Change for 2019 Home Opener - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Sign Veteran Goalkeeper Daniel Vega - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Add Nick Dasovic to Technical Staff as U-23 Development Squad Head Coach - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- David Guzman, Marvin Loria Called up by Costa Rica for International Match against United States - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Match at Colorado Rapids Rescheduled to September 11 - LA Galaxy
- New York City FC Announces Preseason in Abu Dhabi - New York City FC
- Timbers Acquire Slovenian Goalkeeper Aljaz Ivacic - Portland Timbers
- FC Cincinnati Acquires Costa Rica National Team Midfielder Allan Cruz - FC Cincinnati
- Kickoff for FC Dallas' March 23rd Match against Colorado Moved to 3:30PM CT - FC Dallas
- Impact Returns to the Rowdies Suncoast Invitational in February - Montreal Impact
- New England Revolution Sign Academy Product Justin Rennicks - New England Revolution
- FC Cincinnati to Play D.C. United in Preseason at IMG Academy - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Add Rowdies Suncoast Invitational, Two Other Preseason Matches to Schedule - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Canadian International Centre Back Derek Cornelius - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Brazilian Midfielder Robinho from Ceara Sporting Club of Brazil's First Division - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union Single-Match Tickets to Go on Sale January 23 - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Darlington Nagbe in Trade with Atlanta United
- Luis Diaz and Eloy Room Receive International Call-Ups
- Columbus Crew SC Names Clive Brewer Director of High Performance
- Columbus Crew SC's Wil Trapp and Gyasi Zardes Receive International Call-Ups
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Defender Harrison Afful to Contract Extension