Colorado Rapids to Host Boca Juniors for Friendly Match
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - Colorado Rapids Soccer Club will face Argentine giants Boca Juniors in a friendly match presented by Western Union on Tuesday, July 24, at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, where kickoff is slated for 7:00 p.m. MT.
"Western Union is proud to bring this unprecedented matchup to our hometown and Commerce City, Colorado," said Nicole Vogrin, Vice President of Corporate Relations at Western Union. "These teams have demonstrated leadership and effective teamwork, uniting soccer fans from all around the world."
Boca Juniors, one of South America's most famous teams with 18 international titles, six Copa Libertadores and 44 national titles in its vaunted 113-year history, comes to Colorado on the heels of a 2017-18 campaign that once again saw the Blue and Gold claim top spot in the Argentine Superliga. The current squad is managed by 2008 Major League Soccer Most Valuable Player Guillermo Barros Schelotto and boasts the likes of former Manchester United striker Carlos Tevez, as well as forward Cristian Pavón, who is currently in Russia as a part of the Argentine squad competing at the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Former players include the legendary Diego Maradona, as well as Gabriel Batistuta, Juan Román Riquelme, and Walter Samuel.
"We are excited to be hosting such a historic team as Boca Juniors," said Rapids Executive Vice President & General Manager Pádraig Smith. "They are one of the best known clubs in the world and we're thrilled to give our fans the opportunity to be part of this terrific matchup."
Fans may purchase tickets at AltitudeTickets.com starting Friday, June 22 at 10:00 a.m. MT. For more information please call the Colorado Rapids front office at 303-825-GOAL.
Friendly match against Boca Juniors
Date: Tuesday, July 24
Time: 7:00 p.m. (MT)
Location: Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 18, 2018
- Missed Chances Haunt MNUFC in 1-0 Open Cup Loss to Houston - Minnesota United FC
- Dynamo Top Minnesota 1-0 to Advance to Open Cup Quarterfinals - Houston Dynamo
- Weekly Update: More Than 6,000 Fans Attend World Cup Viewing Parties at Avaya Stadium Last Weekend - San Jose Earthquakes
- Mexico Head Coach on Carlos Vela: 'He Was One of Our Best' in Win vs. Defending World Cup Champion Germany - this Week in MLS - MLS
- Colorado Rapids to Host Boca Juniors for Friendly Match - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Continue Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quest against Atlanta United, Travel to Face Seattle Sounders FC - Chicago Fire
- Red Bull Arena to Host Atletico Nacional and America de Cali for Club Friendly - New York Red Bulls
- Three Points: Dynamo Host Minnesota United in Open Cup Round of 16 - Houston Dynamo
- MLS Unveils Atlanta-Inspired Jersey Ahead of 2018 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Goalkeeper Andre Rawls
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Goalkeeper Clint Irwin
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Striker Kei Kamara
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Attacking Midfielder Nicolas Mezquida from Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- U.S. Women's National Team to Play at Dick's Sporting Goods Park Ahead of 2019 Fifa Women's World Cup