Colorado Rapids Sign Midfielder Cole Bassett as Homegrown Player
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - Colorado Rapids Soccer Club announced today the signing of 17-year-old midfielder Cole Bassett to a four-and-a-half year contract. In doing so, the Littleton, Colorado native becomes the youngest signing in club history, and the eighth Development Academy player to sign a first-team contract with the Rapids.
"This is a special day for the club," said Colorado Rapids' Executive Vice President and General Manager Pádraig Smith. "Cole is very talented and a very humble young man. It's a big credit to both his parents, as well as our Development Academy staff, that we're able to bring such a well-rounded person and player in to our first team."
Bassett has represented the Rapids at the U-16/17 and U-18/19 levels after the joining the club's Development Academy in 2017 from Colorado Rush. The talented midfielder has scored nine goals this season, while also playing four games with the Rapids' U-23 team in the Premier Development League, scoring a goal and adding an assist. He has also been called in to train with the first team by Head Coach Anthony Hudson on a consistent basis this season, including the club's preparations for last month's international friendly versus Boca Juniors.
TRANSACTION: Colorado Rapids - August 10, 2018 - Rapids sign midfielder Cole Bassett to a four-and-a-half year contract. Basset will be added to the Rapids supplemental roster as a Homegrown player.
Full Name: Cole Bassett
Birth Date: 7/28/01
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 10, 2018
- MLS Issues Disciplinary Committee Decisions - MLS
- Timbers Weekly Update: August 10, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- LAFC to Begin Three-Match Homestand on Saturday Night against Sporting KC - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Loan Nicolas Del Grecco to USL Affiliate Tulsa Roughnecks FC - Chicago Fire
- Impact Visits Real Salt Lake Late Saturday Night - Montreal Impact
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Houston Dynamo Tomorrow at MAPFRE Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- Preview: Sporting KC Set for Inaugural Meeting with LAFC - Sporting Kansas City
- Match Preview: Philadelphia Union vs. New England Revolution - Philadelphia Union
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Colorado Rapids Sign Midfielder Cole Bassett as Homegrown Player - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Loan Diego Campos and Elliot Collier to Indy Eleven - Chicago Fire
- LAFC Issues Statement on the U.S. Open Cup Adjudication & Discipline Panel Decision - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC Midfielder Mohammed Abu Set to Go on Season-Long - Columbus Crew SC
- New York City FC and Manchester City Announce New Global Partnership With Unilever's Anti-Perspirant Brand, Rexona - New York City FC
- MNUFC Match Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Announce Switchbacks FC as New USL Affiliate
- Colorado Rapids Conclude Four-Year Affiliation with Charlotte Independence
- Statement from Colorado Rapids Owner E. Stanley Kroenke on the Passing of Paul Allen
- Colorado Rapids Recall Five Players from USL Loan
- Colorado Rapids Recall Goalkeeper Andrew Dykstra from Charlotte Independence