Colorado Rapids Acquire U.S. International Midfielder Kellyn Acosta from FC Dallas
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - Colorado Rapids Soccer Club announced today the acquisition of FC Dallas midfielder Kellyn Acosta in exchange for striker Dominique Badji and an international roster spot. As part of the deal, the two clubs have further agreed to swap first round picks in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft, while Colorado will also acquire F.C. Dallas' second-round selection. In addition, both teams will retain 50% of any international transfer value through the 2020 secondary transfer window.
"Kellyn Acosta is one of the bright young players in U.S. Soccer," said Rapids Executive Vice President and General Manager Padraig Smith. "His versatility in the midfield and ability to control games, get forward and break lines is something that will help this team both this season and in years to come. We can't wait to welcome him to Colorado."
Acosta, 22, a native of Plano, Texas, began his career as a member of the FC Dallas Development Academy before spending the past five-and-a-half seasons with the first team. Over that time, Acosta amassed 8 goals and 12 assists in 115 Major League Soccer appearances and was selected to the 2017 MLS All-Star team. Equally impressive on the international level, Acosta made 17 senior team appearances and scored his first international goal on July, 1, 2017 in a 2-1 win over Ghana. No stranger to major tournaments, Acosta was a member of the senior team's 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup championship squad as well as the youngest member of the U.S. U-20 World Cup team in 2013.
"I'm thrilled with the opportunity being given to me by the Colorado Rapids," said Acosta. "This is a club with a bright future and I can't wait to get started."
Badji, 25, appeared in 90 matches, 69 from the start, and scored 24 goals in 6,179 minutes for the Rapids. The Senegalese joined the Rapids in 2015 as the 67th overall selection in the 2015 MLS SuperDraft.
"On behalf of the entire organization, we want to thank Dom for his time here," said Smith. "HIs contributions to this club over the last few seasons will not be forgotten and we wish him nothing but the best in this next stage of his career."
An introductory press conference for Kellyn will be held at Dick's Sporting Goods Park tomorrow Monday, July 23rd at 12:00 p.m. (MT). Please stay tuned to ColoradoRapids.com for more information on this, as well as all other Rapids-related news.
Transaction: Colorado Rapids have acquired midfielder Kellyn Acosta from FC Dallas in return for Dominique Badji and an international roster spot.
Full name: Kellyn Acosta
Born: 07/24/1995 (22 years old)
Weight: 150 lbs.
Last Club: FC Dallas
Hometown: Plano, Texas
Birthplace: Plano, Texas
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 23, 2018
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 23, 2018 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Host Los Angeles FC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal August 8 - Houston Dynamo
- MLS Primed for Record-Breaking All-Star Event in Atlanta - this Week in MLS - MLS
- New England Revolution Acquire Midfielder/Defender Cristhian Machado - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire to Travel to Philadelphia for Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Semifinal on August 8 - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union to Host Chicago Fire in Semifinals of 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Philadelphia Union
- Real Salt Lake and FW Alfredo Ortuno Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Acquires Dominique Badji from Colorado Rapids in Exchange for Kellyn Acosta - FC Dallas
- Colorado Rapids Acquire U.S. International Midfielder Kellyn Acosta from FC Dallas - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Travel to Face Toronto FC - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Recall Goalkeeper Andrew Dykstra from Charlotte Independence
- Colorado Rapids Recall Forward Caleb Calvert from Charlotte Independence
- Colorado Rapids Sign Midfielder Cole Bassett as Homegrown Player
- Colorado Rapids Trade Micheal Azira to Montreal, Receive Fourth-Round Pick in 2020
- Colorado Rapids to Host Live Fan Q&A with Executive Vice President and General Manager Padraig Smith