Colin Clark Excited to Get His LA Galaxy Career Underway
CARSON, Calif. "" Colin Clark's relocation to the LA Galaxy made perfect sense, as far as the 28-year-old former Houston Dynamo standout was concerned.
Simply put, if you can't beat "em, join "em.
"That's actually one of my first quotes," he said with a laugh Monday after the two-time defending MLS Cup champions officially opened training camp at The Home Depot Center. "It's fairly true."
Clark had been a member of the Dynamo for the past two and a half seasons, during which he had two Eastern Conference championships to his credit, but Houston failed to get past the Galaxy in the last two MLS Cups.
"I'm just excited to be here and get to work with another fantastic coach and a great organization," he said.
His new surroundings do not come without their share of disappointment, however. Clark, who made his MLS debut with the Colorado Rapids in 2006 and was traded to Houston in 2010, made six starts in 14 appearances for the Dynamo last season but eventually came to the realization his stay there might be be short-lived.
He had spoken with Houston coach Dominic Kinnear, who told him he likely would be made available in last December's MLS Re-Entry Process.
"I kind of knew my standing going in. I wasn't shocked," Clark said. "It's tough. Dom took a chance on me after back-to-back knee surgeries. I'm forever grateful to him to get the chance to play and to have a team have confidence in you after that.
"You move to a place and you want to make it a home away from home. Then after two years you're kind of on the outs. It's tough, but it put me in a better situation here."
Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena said he had been impressed with Clark for several seasons and was looking to add some width to his midfield, especially following the departures of David Beckham and Christian Wilhelmsson, and felt Clark was a possible solution. The Galaxy even traded up to second overall in the re-entry draft to ensure they would be able to select him.
"He fills a need that I think we have. We think he's a good addition to the roster," Arena said. "We think he's a player that's going to help us."
Clark said he wasn't overly surprised to get a call from Arena.
"It was more of a privilege to get a call from him," Clark clarified.
Now that he's here, he intends to make the most of his chance and, to say the least, is thankful for the opportunity.
"They're probably the best organization in the league, one of the best teams probably in a long time to come through," he said. "It's always nice to share the field with wonderful players. Now I can look at it from this side.
"Joining them was an honor."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 21, 2013
- Colin Clark Excited to Get His LA Galaxy Career Underway - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Galaxy return to the practice field as preseason begins - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Midfielder Barry Robson Moves On - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Claret-and-Cobalt Heads to Casa Grande, Ariz. for Start of Preseason Training - Real Salt Lake
- Arne Friedrich Receives U.S. Green Card - Chicago Fire
- Three Chicago Fire Midfielders Return to Fold in 2013 - Chicago Fire
- Timbers Sign Forward Jose Valencia to Multi-Year Contract - Portland Timbers
- Timbers Sign Defender Ryan Miller - Portland Timbers
- Weekly Update: Rapids to Present Serna Today - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Begin 2013 Preseason Camp in Ave Maria, Florida - Chicago Fire
- Montero Loaned to Colombia's Millonarios - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Signs John Thorrington - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles Galaxy Stories
- Full Schedule Announced for 2018 International Champions Cup Presented by Heineken
- LA Galaxy Tops Chicago 1-0
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Ola Kamara to Three-Year Contract
- LA Galaxy to Wear Jerseys Made from Parley Ocean Plastic for April 21 Match
- StubHub Center to Host 4th Annual Campeon de Campeones and SuperCopa MX Doubleheader on July 15