Clutch Hitting Carries Hooks
FRISCO - Corpus Christi notched four two-out RBIs in a 5-3 triumph over Frisco Thursday night at Dr Pepper Ballpark.
Myles Straw was hit by a Collin Wiles pitch to begin the ballgame. Straw later scored on Carmen Benedetti's single into center field.
The Hooks (7-6) doubled their edge in the fourth. Taylor Jones, who doubled to open the frame, crossed the pay station when Alex De Goti smacked a two-out single into right field.
Brock Dykxhoorn retired the first seven men he faced, and held Frisco (3-10) to a pair of singles through three innings of work.
Michael O'Neil's lead-off home run and Luis La O's RBI double tied the game at 2 in the fourth.
Jones responded with a two-out solo home run to left field in the fifth. His first Double-A dinger put Corpus Christi back in front, 3-2.
Dykxhoorn spun a scoreless fifth before giving way to Sean Stutzman in the sixth. A walk and Jose Trevino's double greeted Stutzman, setting the stage for an RBI groundout from Luis Mendez.
With the game level at 3 in the eighth, Corpus Christi scored twice against Joe Filomeno. Jones worked a free pass and scored from first on a two-out double by Randy Cesar. Jamie Ritchie then sent a single into left field, plating Cesar from second base.
Riley Ferrell was called upon to get the final out in the eighth, leaving a man at first base.
In the ninth, Ferrell worked around a hit batsman and two walks to notch his first save of the season.
Former Hook and rehabbing Texas Ranger Delino DeShields went 1-for-3 with a bunt base hit while playing five innings in center field.
Lefty Ryan Hartman (0-0, 0.00) gets the ball for Corpus Christi Friday night. Frisco counters with southpaw Wes Benjamin (0-1, 5.00). First pitch 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from April 20, 2018
- Cole Stays Hot in 11-3 Loss to Hooks - Frisco RoughRiders
- Naturals Pitching Stymies Drillers in Win - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Drillers Beaten 4-1 at Northwest Arkansas - Tulsa Drillers
- Donate to Cardinals Food Drive & Get $1 Tickets on April 24 - Springfield Cardinals
- Hooks Back Home: April 23-30 - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Missions Offensive Attacks Stops Hounds - San Antonio Missions
- Josh Naylor Named TL Player of the Week - San Antonio Missions
- Clutch Hitting Carries Hooks - Corpus Christi Hooks
- 9th Inning Rally Falls Just Short - Arkansas Travelers
- O'Neill Goes Deep But Hooks Rally Late to Steal Series Opener - Frisco RoughRiders
- Nogowski's Slam Powers Cards Past Travs, 6-4 - Springfield Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi Hooks Stories
- Hartman, Cesar Named Hooks Pitcher & Player of the Year
- October 25 at Whataburger Field: Halloween with the Hooks
- Astros Playoff Gear at Hook, Line, & Sinker
- Former Hooks James, Tucker Named Astros Minor League Players of the Year
- Hooks Tabbed Texas League Organization of the Year