Clutch Hitting Carries Hooks
FRISCO - Corpus Christi notched four two-out RBIs in a 5-3 triumph over Frisco Thursday night at Dr Pepper Ballpark.
Myles Straw was hit by a Collin Wiles pitch to begin the ballgame. Straw later scored on Carmen Benedetti's single into center field.
The Hooks (7-6) doubled their edge in the fourth. Taylor Jones, who doubled to open the frame, crossed the pay station when Alex De Goti smacked a two-out single into right field.
Brock Dykxhoorn retired the first seven men he faced, and held Frisco (3-10) to a pair of singles through three innings of work.
Michael O'Neil's lead-off home run and Luis La O's RBI double tied the game at 2 in the fourth.
Jones responded with a two-out solo home run to left field in the fifth. His first Double-A dinger put Corpus Christi back in front, 3-2.
Dykxhoorn spun a scoreless fifth before giving way to Sean Stutzman in the sixth. A walk and Jose Trevino's double greeted Stutzman, setting the stage for an RBI groundout from Luis Mendez.
With the game level at 3 in the eighth, Corpus Christi scored twice against Joe Filomeno. Jones worked a free pass and scored from first on a two-out double by Randy Cesar. Jamie Ritchie then sent a single into left field, plating Cesar from second base.
Riley Ferrell was called upon to get the final out in the eighth, leaving a man at first base.
In the ninth, Ferrell worked around a hit batsman and two walks to notch his first save of the season.
Former Hook and rehabbing Texas Ranger Delino DeShields went 1-for-3 with a bunt base hit while playing five innings in center field.
Lefty Ryan Hartman (0-0, 0.00) gets the ball for Corpus Christi Friday night. Frisco counters with southpaw Wes Benjamin (0-1, 5.00). First pitch 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from April 20, 2018
- Cole Stays Hot in 11-3 Loss to Hooks - Frisco RoughRiders
- Naturals Pitching Stymies Drillers in Win - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Drillers Beaten 4-1 at Northwest Arkansas - Tulsa Drillers
- Donate to Cardinals Food Drive & Get $1 Tickets on April 24 - Springfield Cardinals
- Hooks Back Home: April 23-30 - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Missions Offensive Attacks Stops Hounds - San Antonio Missions
- Josh Naylor Named TL Player of the Week - San Antonio Missions
- Clutch Hitting Carries Hooks - Corpus Christi Hooks
- 9th Inning Rally Falls Just Short - Arkansas Travelers
- O'Neill Goes Deep But Hooks Rally Late to Steal Series Opener - Frisco RoughRiders
- Nogowski's Slam Powers Cards Past Travs, 6-4 - Springfield Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.