Clinton LumberKings top Kane County Cougars 6-4
CLINTON, IA - Gareth Morgan slugged his second walk-off home run of the season as the Clinton LumberKings topped the Kane County Cougars 6-4 in 10 innings on Thursday night at Ashford University Field. Morgan's blast was one of three home runs by the LumberKings (31-35, 62-71) in a game that featured four long flies.
Kane County (31-35, 70-63) jumped out early against LumberKings starter Ryne Inman. In the top of the second inning, with two men out, the Cougars got two men to reach and then come across on a Stephen Smith two-run triple off the wall in left center field.
The Cougars added to their lead in the top of the fourth inning when Ramon Hernandez led-off with a solo home run to left. The clout was his 13th of the season and his second of the series.
Trailing 3-0, the LumberKings registered their first hit of the night in the bottom of the fourth inning on Yojhan Quevedo's solo home run to left. The home run was his seventh of the season and pulled the LumberKings to within two.
In the bottom of the fifth, the LumberKings tied the game for the first time on a Dimas Ojeda two-run homer to right. Ojeda's fourth home run of the season, and first at home this year, were the last runs tallied against Cougars starter Mack Lemieux.
Kane County scored their final run of the night in the sixth inning to take a 4-3 lead. Adam Walton lifted a sacrifice fly to left with the bases loaded to give the Cougars what proved to be their final lead of the night.
The Cougars remained on top until the bottom of the ninth. Nick Thurman led the inning off with a double to left and moved to third on an Ojeda single. With runners at first and third, Cougars reliever Tyler Mark threw wildly to first on a pickoff attempt that allowed Thurman to score the tying run.
Jeffeson Medina worked the final three innings for the LumberKings to earn his seventh win of the year. Medina (0-7) held the Cougars scoreless from the eighth inning through the 10th.
Cal Becker took over on the mound for the Cougars in the bottom of the 10th inning. Nick Zammarelli led the inning off with a walk and was followed two pitches later on a Morgan opposite field walk-off home run to right. Becker (1-1) failed to record an out during his appearance and was given his first loss of the season.
The LumberKings will now play their final home game of the season against the Kane County Cougars on Friday night. Clinton left-hander Danny Garcia (7-12, 6.06) will take the ball for the LumberKings and face Kane County's right-handed pitcher Connor Gray (2-1, 2.61). Game time is slated for 6:30 PM with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI beginning at 6:15 PM, Erik Oas will be on the call. Remember to stay after the game as we thank the fans with the final post-game fireworks spectacular presented by WQAD-TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 1, 2017
- Clinton LumberKings top Kane County Cougars 6-4 - Clinton LumberKings
- Dual Comeback Efforts Fall Short against Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Bees Waste Eight Run Lead in Loss - Burlington Bees
- Timber Rattlers defeated the Beloit Snappers 4-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Great Lakes 4, Fort Wayne 2 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Muhammad Muscles TinCaps - Great Lakes Loons
- Extra-Inning Games Continue in Walk-Off Loss - Kane County Cougars
- Snappers Eliminated, Lose 4-3 - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Playoff Tickets on Sale - Peoria Chiefs
- Walk Hard: Bandits Drop Third Straight - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Jacob Drives Lugs to 4th Straight Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Shutout Dragons, Snap Lengthy Losing Streak - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Cool off Dragons - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.