Claudio Bravo Named to U-23 Argentina Men's National Team Roster for Tokyo 2020 Olympics
PORTLAND, Ore. - Portland Timbers defender Claudio Bravo was named to the U-23 Argentina Men's National Team roster for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, it was announced today. The group will play their first match on July 22 against Australia.
This marks Bravo's first appearance at the Olympics. He's made 10 appearances for the U-23 squad, and helped the Argentina side win the 2020 CONMEBOL Pre-Olympic Tournament. For the Timbers, Bravo has started 14 matches across all competitions in 2021, tallying one assist, in a 2-2 tie against Houston Dynamo FC.
Bravo and the Argentina will compete in Group C, one of four groups in the tournament. They will kick off the tournament on July 22, facing Australia (3:30 a.m. PT). Next, the U-23 squad will face Egypt on July 25 (12:30 a.m. PT), and will close out group play on July 28 against Spain (4 a.m. PT). The tournament final will be played on August 7. All broadcasts are TBD.
Portland acquired the 24-year-old Argentinian from Liga Profesional de Fútbol side Club Atlético Banfield after the 2020 season, signing him to a multi-year contract using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM). Bravo began his career in the youth academy of Banfield, making his professional debut with the first team in a 4-0 win over Rosario Central on Sept. 24, 2017. The defender tallied four assists in 56 appearances (54 starts) across all competitions for Banfield (2017-20).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 12, 2021
- Atlanta United Announces Injury Updates - Atlanta United FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 12, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Claudio Bravo Named to U-23 Argentina Men's National Team Roster for Tokyo 2020 Olympics - Portland Timbers
- Damir Kreilach Named Major League Soccer Player of the Week - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Midfielder Damir Kreilach Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 12 - MLS
- MNUFC Ceo Chris Wright to Step Down Following 2021 Season - Minnesota United FC
- Contract Extension for Defender Kamal Miller - Club de Foot Montreal
- Whitecaps FC Sign Centre Back Derek Cornelius to a Contract Extension and Loan to Panetolikos FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Audi Field to Host Alianza FC Friendly - D.C. United
- LouCity, Racing Facility to Host U.S. Deaf National Team Camp - MLS
- Charlotte FC Names Christian Lattanzio Assistant Coach - Charlotte FC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Sporting Director Ernst Tanner to Contract Extension - Philadelphia Union
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Defender Claudio Bravo and Midfielder Yimmi Chara Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 27
- Timbers Take Down Real Salt Lake 6-1
- Liam Ridgewell Returns to Portland to Join Timbers Broadcast Team
- Timbers Defender Larrys Mabiala Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 26
- Timbers Down LAFC 2-1 at Providence Park