Christian Wood & Herd Send Charge into Break with Loss
OSHKOSH, WI - The Canton Charge (12-23), powered by the Cleveland Cavaliers, were defeated on the road by the Wisconsin Herd (9-25), 117-106, in front of a sellout crowd at Menominee Nation Arena on Sunday afternoon. On assignment from the Milwaukee Bucks, Christian Wood posted a double-double of 45 points and 20 rebounds to lead the Herd to their third win in as many games against the Charge this season.
Canton crashed the boards for 20 in the first quarter that helped allow them to get out to a lead by as many as 14 points before Wisconsin finished on a 8-3 run to make it 33-24. Wood was a force in the second, never coming off the floor and netting 16 of his team's 32 points in the quarter. The Charge's Scoochie Smith had his own effort of 13 points on 3-of-4 from three-point shooting as the visitors held on to a 61-56 lead at the half.
Wisconsin forced 8 Canton turnovers for 12 points in the third to help chip away at the deficit. Trailing 83-74, the Herd went on a 14-2 run over the final 3:41 to go ahead 88-85 heading into the fourth. Wood took over again in the fourth quarter for 12 points and 10 rebounds as the Herd never relinquished their lead and handed the Charge their eighth consecutive defeat overall.
Kobi Simmons led Canton with an efficient 27 points on 10-of-16 from the field in 20 minutes. JaCorey Williams had a double-double of 17 points and 10 rebounds in 29 minutes. Levi Randolph had 16 points and two steals while Sir'Dominic Pointer had an all-around six points, six rebounds and five blocks. Smith finished with 18 points, eight rebounds and two steals in
Michael Qualls added 20 points, eight boards and two steals in 22 minutes for the Herd. Wood's point and rebound numbers were both the highest totals the Charge have allowed to an individual this season. Bucks two-way player Bonzie Colson II was held to three points on 0-of-8 from the field in 32 minutes.
The Charge return home after the break for a matchup against the Greensboro Swarm Tuesday, February 20th at 7:00 PM (TV: ESPN+; RADIO: 99.7 FM). For Charge Nation Memberships, group outings, game day promotions and up-to-date information, head to CantonCharge.com or call 866-444-1944. The Canton Charge are part of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Quicken Loans Arena organization and are also owned by a group led by Cavaliers Chairman and Quicken Loans Founder and Chairman Dan Gilbert. The group also owns and operates the Cleveland Monsters of the American Hockey League, who play their games at Quicken Loans Arena in downtown Cleveland.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 10, 2019
- Stars Defeat Spurs in Road Contest - Salt Lake City Stars
- Santa Cruz Warriors Secure 114-104 Road Win over Fort Wayne Mad Ants - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Mad Ants Fall at Home to Santa Cruz - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Christian Wood & Herd Send Charge into Break with Loss - Canton Charge
- Blue Coats Re-Acquire Michael Bryson - Delaware Blue Coats
- Blue Edged by Lakers in Final Minutes - Oklahoma City Blue
- Austin Spurs Fall to Salt Lake City Stars 98-89 - Austin Spurs
- Woods' Dominant Performance Lifts Herd over Charge - Wisconsin Herd
- South Bay Storms Back to Beat Oklahoma City - South Bay Lakers
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.