Chris Rainey Named CFL Performer of the Week
(Vancouver) Small in stature but possessing the ability to turn a game around on a single play, BC Lions special teams ace Chris Rainey has earned one of three CFL Performer of the Week honours following his 79-yard punt return for a touchdown in last Thursday's 31-23 win over Edmonton.
Rainey, who notched his fourth career punt return TD, racked-up 135 yards on seven returns for a healthy 19.3-yard average on the night and joined former Lions Leon Bright and Tim Brown for the club's all-time lead in the category. Earlier this season, the Florida native moved into second spot among Lions in punt return yards behind Larry Crawford (4,058) and now stands at 2,624 yards through last week's game.
Adding another 36 yards with two receptions along with 50 yards on two kickoff returns, Rainey was responsible for 221 combined yards in the exciting come-from-behind win. The lofty numbers keep him in the lead among all CFL players with 1,221 combined yards this season despite missing one game with an injury.
The Lions return to the practice field later this morning as they prepare to face the Toronto Argonauts on Saturday afternoon. The club returns to BC Place on Saturday, August 25 versus the Saskatchewan Roughriders presented by Budweiser.
Single game tickets for all BC Lions regular season home games are on sale including kids tickets for just $10 per game and the new general admission Beach Party Zone for only $20. Click here to view the 2018 schedule.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from August 14, 2018
- Eskimos Make Roster Moves - Edmonton Eskimos
- Stamps Sign Quarterback - Calgary Stampeders
- Chris Rainey Named CFL Performer of the Week - B.C. Lions
- Harris Named Shaw CFL Top Performer for Week 9 - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Adam Bighill Named Shaw CFL Top Performer for Week 9 - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Shaw CFL Top Performers of Week 9 Named - CFL
- RedBlacks Add Zed Brown to Practice Roster - Ottawa RedBlacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent B.C. Lions Stories
- Leos Ink Linebacker Jordan Herdman to Extension Through 2020
- Long Earns West Division Nod as Outstanding Special Teams Player
- Lions Sign 2018 West All-Star Davon Coleman to Extension
- Lions Land Seven on 2018 West Division All-Star Squad
- BC Lions Player Awards Announced; Ty Long Earns Double Nomination