Chiefs Drop Middle Game to Bats
The Syracuse Chiefs dropped the second game of a three-game series to the Louisville Bats, 5-1, Tuesday night at Louisville Slugger Field. Syracuse pressured left-hander Cody Reed but left 13 runners on base in the game.
Louisville (38-57) started the scoring in the second inning against Greg Ross, who started on three days' rest after the Major League promotions of Jacob Turner and Edwin Jackson. Brandon Dixon started the inning with a double and moved to third on Eric Jagielo's groundout. After a walk, Alex Blandino doubled to right field to score Dixon and give the Bats a 1-0 lead.
In the third, Phillip Ervin reached on a bunt single to start the inning. Two batters later, Ervin stole second and scored on a two-out Dixon single to left to stretch the lead to two. Jagielo then followed with a double to plate Dixon for a 3-0 lead.
The lead-off hits continued in the fourth. Blandino hit his first Triple-A home run, a fly ball over the left-center field fence to give Louisville a 4-0 lead.
Syracuse (33-60) scratched the scoreboard in the sixth. Ross singled with one out, his second time reaching base in the game. Andrew Stevenson followed with a double to center to put runners on second and third. Then with Alejandro De Aza batting, Cody Reed threw a wild pitch, and Ross scored from third to cut the deficit to 4-1.
Ervin continued his big day in the seventh, hitting a one-out home run off Ross. Ervin's sixth of the season pushed the Bats lead to 5-1.
The Chiefs and Bats wrap up their three-game series Wednesday night at 7:05 p.m. Erick Fedde is scheduled to start for Syracuse opposite Jackson Stephens for Louisville.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 20, 2017
- Pigs Sweep G-Braves with Win in Finale - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Drop Finale to 'Wings 7-6 Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Park Hit Wins It for Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Casali Carries Bulls to Win - Durham Bulls
- Late Rally Leads Bats Past Chiefs - Syracuse Chiefs
- Beato Sets Franchise Record in Pigs Win - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Gwinnett falls in extras to Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Solo Shots Send Tribe to Victory in Durham - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Shut out in Sixth Straight Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Early Runs Hold up in Bulls' 5-1 Win - Durham Bulls
- PawSox Extend Streak to Eight Wins with Another Shutout - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Pair of Louisville Homers Give Bats 5-1 Victory - Louisville Bats
- Chiefs Drop Middle Game to Bats - Syracuse Chiefs
- Bisons Rout Columbus for Second Straight Win - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Chiefs Stories
- 4th Annual Ballpark Craft Beer Festival at NBT Bank Stadium: Everything You Need to Know
- Chiefs Combine for Three-Hitter to Win Finale, 2-0
- Voth Stellar, Chiefs Hold on Late for 4-3 Win over the Bisons
- Four-Run First Jumps Chiefs Past Herd Saturday
- Chiefs Swat Their Way Past Bisons Friday Night