Chiefs' Comeback Falls Just Short Sunday
Allentown, PA - The Syracuse Chiefs scored three runs in the seventh and eighth innings, and put the tying run on third base with one out in the ninth, but fell by one to the Lehigh Valley IronPigs, 4-3, Sunday afternoon. With runners on first and third and one out in the ninth, IronPigs reliever Jesen Therrien struck out Wilmer Difo and got Irving Falu to groundout to clinch the win. Jhonatan Solano had three hits for the Chiefs.
Lehigh Valley (45-24) pounced for two quick runs in the first inning against Jaron Long. Cam Perkins hit the first pitch from Long down the left-field line for a leadoff double. Pedro Florimon then sacrificed Perkins to third on a bunt, and then Jorge Alfaro grounded out to short, scoring Perkins for a 1-0 lead. Dylan Cozens then hit his league leading 16th home run of the season for a 2-0 IronPigs advantage.
The IronPigs added an unearned run in the fourth. Angelo Mora doubled off the right-field fence. Caleb Ramsey fielded off the wall in right, and his throw to second bounced high of Wilmer Difo, allowing Mora to advance to third on the throwing error. Mora scored a batter later on Jorge Flores' single, chopped over the drawn-infield into left for a 3-0 lead.
Pedro Florimon added to the scoring with a solo home run to lead off the bottom of the fifth for a 4-0 edge.
Syracuse (21-44) started the comeback in the seventh after Mark Leiter threw six innings of two-hit ball for the IronPigs. Brandon Snyder led off the seventh with a double against Colton Murray and moved to third two batters later on Adrian Sanchez's single. Andrew Stevenson followed with a ground ball to second, where Flores fielded but could only get one out at second base, allowing Snyder to score to get the Chiefs on the board. Solano continued the inning with a single, and Caleb Ramsey single off the end of the bat to left to score Stevenson to cut the lead to two.
The Chiefs came within one in the eighth. Difo and Falu singled to start the inning against Pat Venditte, and Snyder drove in Difo to make the score 4-3.
Syracuse continues its road trip Monday night at PNC Field against the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders. Greg Ross is scheduled to start for the Chiefs opposite Brady Lail for the RailRiders.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 18, 2017
- Clutch Hitting from Navarro Guides Hens to Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Knights Drop Finale to Indians 12-11 Sunday - Charlotte Knights
- Indians Outslug Knights to Complete Comeback - Indianapolis Indians
- Cozens, Florimon Homer as Leiter Picks up Win - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Swept by RailRiders with 2-0 Loss - Buffalo Bisons
- Gwinnett falls to Columbus - Gwinnett Stripers
- Louisville Drops Series on Walk-Off - Louisville Bats
- Chiefs' Comeback Falls Just Short Sunday - Syracuse Chiefs
- Norfolk squeezes out win vs Louisville - Norfolk Tides
- Leiter, Pigs Look to Take Series with Chiefs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.