Chicago Sky Receive No. 4 Overall Pick in WNBA Draft Lottery
CHICAGO - The Chicago Sky will have the No. 4 overall pick of the 2019 WNBA Draft.
"The fourth pick in a deep draft holds meaningful value," Sky General Manager and Head Coach Amber Stocks said. "This proved true with our 2018 No. 4 pick and we will work hard to add quality talent to our young roster."
Last year, Chicago used the No. 3 and 4 overall selections to draft rookies Diamond DeShields and Gabby Williams.
Airing live Tuesday night on ESPN2, the WNBA held its 2019 Draft Lottery during halftime of game 2 of the semifinals between Atlanta Dream and Washington Mystics.
The Las Vegas Aces won No. 1 overall pick for the third straight year -a WNBA first. Prior to Tuesday, the Seattle Storm (2001, 2002 & 2015, 2016) and San Antonio Stars/Las Vegas Aces (2017, 2018) were the only two franchises to ever have two consecutive number one overall selections.
Lottery odds were based on the cumulative records of the Aces, Liberty, Fever and Sky over the two most recent regular seasons (2017 and 2018).
Las Vegas entered the WNBA Draft Lottery with the second-most chances to land the top selection (276 out of 1,000). The New York Liberty, which had 104 chances out of 1,000, will have the second selection. The Indiana Fever will select third after it had the most chances to land the top pick (442 out of 1,000). The Chicago Sky, which had 178 chances to pick first, will choose fourth.
The order of selection for the remainder of the first round as well as the second and third rounds were determined by inverse order of the teams' respective regular-season records solely from 2018.
The following are results of the 2019 WNBA Draft Lottery presented by State Farm.
2019 WNBA DRAFT LOTTERY RESULTS
Team Combined Chances (out of 1,000)
1. Las Vegas 22-46 276
2. New York 29-39 104
3. Indiana 15-53 442
4. Chicago 25-43 178
The order of selection for the remainder of the first round as well as the second and third round is in inverse order of the teams' respective regular-season records solely from 2018.
The following is the remaining order of the first round, as determined by 2018 regular-season records.
REMAINING ORDER FOR FIRST ROUND
Team 2018 Record
5. Dallas 15-19
6. Minnesota 18-16
7. Los Angeles 19-15
8. Phoenix 20-14
9. Connecticut 21-13
10. Washington 22-12
11. Atlanta 23-11
12. Seattle 26-8
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from August 28, 2018
- Chicago Sky Receive No. 4 Overall Pick in WNBA Draft Lottery - Chicago Sky
- New York Liberty Earn Second Overall Pick in 2019 Draft - New York Liberty
- Lady Luck Smiles on Las Vegas as Aces Win Draft Lottery for Third Straight Year - Las Vegas Aces
- Indiana Claims No. 3 Pick in 2019 WNBA Draft - Indiana Fever
- Las Vegas Wins Top Pick in 2019 WNBA Draft Presented by State Farm - WNBA
- Lottery Primer: WNBA Draft Lottery to Take Place Tonight - New York Liberty
- Atlanta's Nicki Collen Named 2018 WNBA Coach of the Year - Atlanta Dream
- Atlanta's Chris Sienko Named 2018 WNBA Basketball Executive of the Year - Atlanta Dream
- Atlanta's Nicki Collen Named 2018 WNBA Coach of the Year - WNBA
- Atlanta's Chris Sienko Named 2018 WNBA Basketball Executive of the Year - WNBA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.