Chicago Sky Re-Sign Center Astou Ndour
CHICAGO - The Chicago Sky announced today the team has re-signed center Astou Ndour. Per team policy, terms of the contract were not released.
Ndour enters her fourth WNBA season. Originally acquired by the Sky in a February 2017 trade with the San Antonio Stars, the 6-foot-5 center played in 22 games and started in nine competitions for Chicago last season. She averaged 4.5 points and 2.5 rebounds per game while shooting 76.9 percent from the free throw line.
"I'm happy to have Astou back in the fold," Sky General Manager and Head Coach James Wade said. "Astou matches well with our athletic forwards and is someone who can space the floor and give us the length that we need."
Ndour is currently playing for Cukurova Mersin in Turkey, where she is averaging 16.1 points and 6.4 rebounds per game on 77.8 percent shooting in Turkish League play. In EuroCup play, Ndour has averaged 14.9 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 1.2 assists per game while shooting 83.9 percent from the free throw line.
"Astou's team is currently undefeated in the EuroCup and she is playing at a very high level," Wade said. "I've coached her before as an assistant coach in San Antonio and saw back then the athleticism that she has. I'm hoping our history and familiarity will help bring to Chicago the complete player that she has proven to be internationally."
A native of Senegal, Ndour's professional basketball career began at the age of 16 when she joined the Spanish Youth National Team. In 2018, Ndour competed in three leagues across two countries, in which she was selected to Eurobasket.com's All-World Cup First Team, All-Italian A1 Second Team, and the All-Bosmans Team. She also was the recipient of Eurobasket.com Honorable Mention for the second year in a row.
Ndour has earned a total of eight medals in seven years of overseas play (2011-18), including a silver medal while representing Spain at the 2016 Rio de Janerio Olympics. She was drafted by San Antonio with the 16th overall pick in the 2014 WNBA Draft.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from February 27, 2019
- Chicago Sky Re-Sign Center Astou Ndour - Chicago Sky
- Sun Sign Ariel Edwards - Connecticut Sun
- Sun to Hold Auditions for Dance Teams and National Anthem - Connecticut Sun
- Phoenix Mercury Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule - Phoenix Mercury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Sky Stories
- Chicago Sky Select Katie Lou Samuelson with No. 4 Overall Pick in WNBA Draft 2019
- Chicago Sky Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule
- Chicago Sky Sign Guard Hind Ben Abdelkader
- Chicago Sky Re-Sign Center Astou Ndour
- Chicago Sky Sign Victoria Macaulay to Training Camp Contract