Chicago Fire Weekly Update - March 25, 2019
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club will complete its three game homestand this weekend when the team hosts the New York Red Bulls at SeatGeek Stadium on Saturday, March 30. Beginning at 12:00 p.m. CT, the match will be broadcast live on ESPN+ and transmitted locally on Univision Radio WRTO AM 1200.
Saturday's match will mark the 58th meeting between the Fire and the New York Red Bulls in regular season action. Since entering the league in 1998, the Fire have posted a 27-18-12 regular season record against the Red Bulls, which ranks as the Club's best regular season record and highest point total (93 points) against a single team. Additionally, while facing the Red Bulls at home, the Fire have produced a strong 15-5-9 record in league play, which ranks as the third-most home wins against a single team in Club history.
During the 2018 campaign, the Fire and the Red Bulls each recorded a win in the head-to-head series. On April 21, 2018, the Fire captured a strong 2-1 victory over the Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J., snapping the Eastern Conference side's 11-game unbeaten run at home. Midfielder Aleksandar Katai and forward Nemanja Nikolic scored the goals for the Fire in the 2-1 victory. In the second and final meeting between the two sides in 2018, the Red Bulls responded with a 1-0 win at SeatGeek Stadium on Aug. 11, 2018.
The Red Bulls enter Saturday's contest with a 1-1-1 regular season record through three games played this season. In the team's most recent match, the Red Bulls suffered its first defeat of the season after falling 1-0 to Orlando City SC at Red Bull Arena on Saturday, March 23. Midfielder Alex Muyl leads the team in goals scored (two), while defender Michael Amir Murillo has recorded the most assists on the team (two).
Saturday's contest against the Red Bulls features several individuals who have experienced both sides of the rivalry.
Red Bulls Head Coach Chris Armas spent 10 seasons with the Fire as a player (1998-2007), helping the Club win the 1998 MLS Cup, the 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2006 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cups, as well as the 2003 Supporters' Shield. Armas, who was inducted into the Ring of Fire on Oct. 22, 2009, tallied 214 appearances for the Men in Red, ranking second in Club history in assists (42), game-winning assists (13) and starts (212). Retiring as a player following the 2007 season, Armas spent the 2008 campaign as an assistant coach for the Fire, serving on Denis Hamlett's technical staff.
Chicago Fire captain Dax McCarty played with the Red Bulls for six seasons (2011-16), captaining the side from 2015-16. During that stretch, McCarty made 169 appearances and 163 starts, helping the Club win the MLS Supporters' Shield on two occasions (2013, 2015).
Chicago Fire midfielder Amando Moreno originally began his professional career as a Homegrown Player for the New York Red Bulls in 2013, signing his first professional contract after progressing through the club's Academy system. During the 2013 MLS season, he made two appearances for the Red Bulls as the team claimed the 2013 MLS Supporters' Shield. Moreno also spent the 2018 USL season with the New York Red Bulls II, tallying 11 goals and four assists in 30 appearances (21 starts).
Chicago Fire Collectible Roster Card
The Chicago Fire is providing a new matchday item to fans this season. For all 2019 home games, the Fire will produce and distribute a collectible roster card that will feature a different Chicago Fire player each week.
The roster card for this weekend's match against the Red Bulls will highlight midfielder and team captain Dax McCarty.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 25, 2019
- LA Galaxy to Host LA Kings Night Sunday at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - March 25, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Forward David Accam Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Forward David Accam Named MLS Player of the Week - Philadelphia Union
- Four Named to MLS Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- Mulrooney, Obenour Elected to Earthquakes Hall of Fame - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: March 25, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire's Gabriel Slonina, Allan Rodriguez Called Up to U-15 U.S. Boys' National Team for 2019 Torneo Delle Nazioni
- Chicago Fire Academy Goalkeeper Damian Las Called up to U-17 U.S. Men's National Team for 2019 CONCACAF U-17 Championship
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - April 21, 2019
- Chicago Fire Dominates the Colorado Rapids in 4-1 Win
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - April 15, 2019