Chicago Fire Weekly Update - March 11, 2019
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club will play at home for a second consecutive weekend when the team hosts Western Conference side Seattle Sounders FC on Saturday, March 16 at SeatGeek Stadium. Beginning at 12:00 p.m. CT, the game against Sounders FC will be broadcast live on ESPN+ and transmitted locally on Univision Radio WRTO AM 1200.
The Men in Red enter Saturday's match after an exciting 1-1 comeback draw against Orlando City SC at SeatGeek Stadium on March 9. Despite playing down a man for 30 minutes, the Fire rallied to find the equalizer late in the second half, with forward CJ Sapong scoring a 95th minute header on the final play of the match. The finish marked Sapong's second goal in as many games with the Fire. Midfielder Przemyslaw Frankowski, who made his home debut in the match, tallied his first assist of the season.
Saturday's contest against Sounders FC will mark the 14th meeting between both teams since 2009. Heading into the match, the Fire are unbeaten in its last two games (1-0-1) played against Seattle. In the most recent match between both clubs at SeatGeek Stadium, the Fire produced a convincing 4-1 win on May 13, 2017. Three different players scored in the 4-1 victory, including a brace from forward Nemanja Nikolic.
Heading into Saturday's match, Sounders FC are coming off two straight wins to start the season. After defeating expansion side FC Cincinnati 4-1 on March 2, Sounders FC recorded a second consecutive home victory with a 2-0 win over the Colorado Rapids on March 9. Three different players - Kelvin Leerdam, Jordan Morris and Raúl RuidÃ-az - are tied for the most goals on the team with two apiece.
Following Saturday's match against Sounders FC, the Fire will return to SeatGeek Stadium on Saturday, March 30 to face the New York Red Bulls. The match against the Red Bulls is scheduled to begin at 12:00 p.m. CT (ESPN+, Univision Radio WRTO AM 1200).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 11, 2019
- Pair Make MLS Team of the Week After Atlanta Game - FC Cincinnati
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - March 11, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Voted MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: March 11, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- New York City FC and WNYE Radio Partnership Renewed - New York City FC
- FloSports and FC Cincinnati Announce Multi-Year Partnership - FC Cincinnati
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Down Two Heading into Leg 2 of SCCL Quarterfinals - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Fall on the Road to Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Bastian Schweinsteiger Ranked No. 5 on List of Top-Selling Adidas MLS Jerseys
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Exercises 2020 Contract Options for Micheal Azira, Jeremiah Gutjahr and Fabian Herbers
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Acquire Former Real Madrid Midfielder Alvaro Medran
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club, City of Chicago and Chicago Park District Announce the Team's Return to Soldier Field
- Chicago Fire Defender Bastian Schweinsteiger Retires from Professional Soccer