Chicago Fire Weekly Update - February 18, 2019
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club will play its final two matches in the Carolina Challenge Cup this week. The Fire are scheduled to face 2019 MLS expansion side FC Cincinnati on Wednesday, Feb. 20 at 6:30 p.m. CT in its second match of the tournament. The Men in Red will conclude its slate of preseason matches on Saturday, Feb. 23 when the team faces the Charleston Battery at 6:30 p.m. CT.
The Carolina Challenge Cup is being held at MUSC Health Stadium. The tournament's matches will be live streamed on www.charlestonbattery.com.
The Fire enter Wednesday's match after recording a 1-1 draw against Columbus Crew SC in the tournament's opening match on Saturday, Feb. 16. Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic scored the game's opening goal in the 16th minute of play to provide the Fire with a 1-0 edge early in the contest. With the match resulting in a 1-1 draw after Crew SC managed to equalize through Gyasi Zardes, the Fire and Crew SC are tied in the Carolina Challenge Cup standings with one point each. FC Cincinnati leads all teams in the tournament with three points after defeating the Battery 2-1 on Saturday night.
The Fire's match schedule in Charleston, S.C. is listed below:
Date Opponent Kickoff (CT) Location
Wednesday, Feb. 20 FC Cincinnati 6:30 p.m. MUSC Health Stadium
Saturday, Feb. 23 Charleston Battery 6:30 p.m. MUSC Health Stadium
The Fire will return to Chicago on Sunday, Feb. 24.
Men in Red to Open 2019 Season at LA Galaxy
The Men in Red will begin the 2019 MLS season with an away match against the LA Galaxy at Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday, March 2, beginning at 7:00 p.m. CT. The Fire's 2019 home opener will take place the following weekend when the team hosts Orlando City SC at SeatGeek Stadium on Saturday, March 9, beginning at 12:00 p.m. CT.
Tickets for the Chicago Fire's 2019 home regular season matches are currently available for purchase by visiting www.chicago-fire.com/tickets. The Fire are currently offering single-game tickets, group and flex plans and 2019 season tickets.
Fire Foundation to Host 2019 Season Kickoff Gala on Feb. 26
The Chicago Fire Foundation, the charitable arm of the Chicago Fire, will host its 2019 Season Kickoff Gala, presented by Magellan Corporation, on Tuesday, Feb. 26 from 6-9 p.m. CT at The Geraghty (2520 South Hoyne Ave., Chicago, Ill.).
Designed as a cocktail-attire event, the gala will feature a reception, dinner and an extensive silent auction that will allow attendees to bid on autographed Fire gear, additional sports memorabilia, gift certificates and much more. Attendees will also have the opportunity to meet the Chicago Fire's coaches and players ahead of the Club's 22nd season in Major League Soccer.
Proceeds from the gala will benefit the Fire Foundation's award-winning P.L.A.Y.S. (Participate, Learn, Achieve, Youth Soccer) program. Ticket are available for purchase.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 18, 2019
- Philadelphia Union Professional Gamer Captures Second Title, Wins eMLS League Series Twoâ?? - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC Acquires 23-Year-Old Goalkeeper Pablo Sisniega - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - February 18, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- FC Cincinnati to Face Bearcats in Preseason Friendly - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Announces "Celebrating 10 Years in MLS" Season-Long Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City SC Signs Four-Time Premier League Champion Nani - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls Sign 2018 MLS Defender of the Year Aaron Long - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Bastian Schweinsteiger Ranked No. 5 on List of Top-Selling Adidas MLS Jerseys
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Exercises 2020 Contract Options for Micheal Azira, Jeremiah Gutjahr and Fabian Herbers
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Acquire Former Real Madrid Midfielder Alvaro Medran
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club, City of Chicago and Chicago Park District Announce the Team's Return to Soldier Field
- Chicago Fire Defender Bastian Schweinsteiger Retires from Professional Soccer