Chicago Fire FC Signs Academy Product Mauricio Pineda
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC announced today that the Club has signed Academy product Mauricio Pineda to a Homegrown Player contract. He is under contract with the Fire for the 2020 season with Club options for the 2021, 2022 and 2023 seasons.
"We're very happy that Mauricio has decided to return to Chicago to begin his professional career," said Chicago Fire FC Head Coach Raphael Wicky. "He has all of the abilities necessary to become an impactful player. I'm looking forward to working with Mauricio to help him reach his potential."
Pineda, 22, joins the Fire after spending the past four years at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Pineda, who was a team captain for the Tar Heels, appeared in every match during his four years with UNC. In 79 appearances (74 starts), he notched 17 goals and eight assists. In his senior season in 2019, Pineda led the team in shots (52), shots on goal (23) and game-winning goals (three), while also ranking second on the team in goals scored (five).
Additionally, Pineda was named to an All-ACC team each season during his four years with UNC, including first-team honors in 2018 and 2019. He was also named to the United Soccer Coaches All-American second team in 2018.
"I'm so happy to sign my first professional contract with the Fire," said Pineda. "I joined the Club when I was 10 years old and have been dreaming of playing for the Fire since then. I can't wait to get started."
Prior to spending four years at UNC, Pineda featured for the Chicago Fire Academy, helping the Club win its first-ever U.S. Soccer Development Academy (USSDA) National Championship in 2015. As a result of his strong performances with the Fire Academy, Pineda earned call ups to the U-18 and U-19 U.S. Men's National Teams.
âââââââPineda is the second member of his family to join the Club as a Homegrown Player. His brother, Victor Pineda, signed with Chicago as the first Homegrown Player in Club history in 2010. The Fire currently has six Homegrown Players on its 2020 roster: Jeremiah Gutjahr, Djordje MihailoviÄ, Mauricio Pineda, Andre Reynolds II, Gabriel Slonina and Nicholas Slonina.
Chicago will kick off its 2020 MLS season on the road on Sunday, March 1 against defending MLS Cup Champions Seattle Sounders FC at CenturyLink Field at 2:00 p.m. CT (ESPN). The Fire will officially make its return to Soldier Field on Saturday, March 21 when the team hosts Atlanta United FC in its 2020 home opener at 2:30 p.m. CT (Univision).
Fans can secure a seat for the Fire's 2020 MLS home opener, or any home game of the regular season, through a variety of ticket packages. Beginning as low as $15 per game, season ticket packages for the 2020 campaign are available for purchase online or by calling 888-MLS-FIRE to speak with a season ticket sales representative. Additionally, season tickets for children ages 12-and-under are also currently available for as low as $12.50 per game.
Transaction: Chicago Fire FC signs Mauricio Pineda as a Homegrown Player on Jan. 17, 2020.
Name: Mauricio Pineda
Weight: 171 lbs.
Date of Birth: Oct. 17, 1997
Birthplace: Bolingbrook, Ill.
Citizenship: United States of America
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 17, 2020
- Philadelphia Union and Bimbo Bakeries USA Unveil Artesano Bakery Bread Brand as Away Jersey Logo - Philadelphia Union
- FC Cincinnati Place Fanendo Adi, Jimmy Hague on Waivers - FC Cincinnati
- Know Before You Go: Kit Reveal Party Presented by Renasant Bank - Nashville SC
- Pressure Hardened Gallese Ready to Make MLS Impact - Orlando City SC
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires $75,000 in 2020 General Allocation Money from the Montreal Impact - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire FC Signs Academy Product Mauricio Pineda - Chicago Fire
- Orlando City SC Acquires Peruvian Goalkeeper Pedro Gallese - Orlando City SC
- Midfielder Allan Cruz, Defender Mathieu Deplagne Become U.S. Permanent Residents - FC Cincinnati
- Minnesota United Signs New Contract for Head Coach Adrian Heath - Minnesota United FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Colombian Winger Cristian Dajome Via Transfer from Bogota FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Signs Veteran Defender Edgar Castillo - Atlanta United FC
- Impact to Play Five Preseason Games in Florida - Montreal Impact
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Crew SC Academy Product Sebastian Berhalter - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City SC Unveils Official Training Ground at Ribbon Cutting Ceremony - Orlando City SC
- MNUFC Signs Midfielder James Musa - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United Sign Academy Product Kevin Paredes - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Expand Spanish-Language Content Offering, Launch @VamosFire on Twitter
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Argentine Midfielder Gaston Gimenez as Designated Player
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: February 24 Ã¢ÂÂ March 1
- 2020 Single-Match Tickets Now on Sale for All Chicago Fire FC Matches at Soldier Field
- 3-2-1 ... Hidden Chicago Fire FC Season Tickets & Merchandise Waiting to be "Un-LockedÃ¢ÂÂ Across the City