Chicago Fire FC Defender Francisco Calvo and eMLS Competitor Enrique Espinoza to Participate in eMLS Tournament Special on Sunday
CHICAGO -- Chicago Fire FC announced today that defender Francisco Calvo and eMLS competitor Enrique Espinoza (gamertag: TheBITW7) will represent the Club in the eMLS Tournament Special presented by Coca-Cola® and PlayStation® to support COVID-19 relief efforts.
As part of MLS Unites, a league-wide platform designed to educate communities, entertain fans and elevate heroic efforts taking place during the COVID-19 pandemic, the eMLS Tournament Special will debut on Sunday, April 19 on FS1 and FOX Deportes at 6 p.m. CT. The series will be hosted by FOX Sports' Stu Holden, Rachel Bonnetta and Rodolfo Landeros, with color commentary from Mike LaBelle.
Each Sunday at 6 p.m. CT, the five-episode series will team up MLS players and eMLS players from the same MLS clubs in single-elimination EA SPORTS FIFA 20 tournaments. Calvo will be featured in the first match of the tournament on Sunday, April 19, facing fellow Costa Rican international and FC Cincinnati defender Kendall Waston in the first leg. The second leg sees Espinoza - the Fire's eMLS competitor and Chicago Fire Juniors youth coach - take on FC Cincinnati's eMLS competitor Gordon Thornsberry.
Following the Fire's matches against FC Cincinnati, strikers Javier "Chicharito" HernÃ¡ndez and Adama Diomande will represent the LA Galaxy and LAFC in the digital version of 'El TrÃ¡fico' in the second and final matchup of the opening week.
Each episode will take place on an entirely remote basis with MLS and eMLS players competing from their home and will feature four different clubs competing to win. Matches will be two legs, with the MLS players playing the first leg and the eMLS professional FIFA players competing against each other in the second leg. The best aggregate score will move on. The four winning teams from the first four episodes will qualify to participate in the fifth and final eMLS Tournament Special on Sunday, May 17 and a champion will be crowned.
After each episode, MLS WORKS, the league's social responsibility platform, and FOX Sports will make a donation on behalf of the winning club to Feeding America®, with MLS also supporting Food Banks Canada.
In the coming weeks, D.C. United's Paul Arriola, New England Revolution's Diego Fagundez, Minnesota United's Tyler Miller, Sporting Kansas City's Wan Kuzain, New York Red Bulls Aaron Long, NYCFC's Sean Johnson, FC Dallas' Fafa Picault, Houston Dynamo's Memo Rodriguez, Vancouver Whitecaps Erik Godoy, Toronto FC's Marky Delgado, Atlanta United's Franco Escobar and Orlando City's Nani will compete in the tournament.
Through eMLS Tournament Special and other programs, Major League Soccer is proud to support EA's "Stay Home. Play Together." Initiatives, helping the gaming community find more ways to connect through play during a time where people need to be physically apart. To learn more, you can follow #stayandplay on Twitter and Instagram or check out https://www.ea.com/en-ca/stay-and-play for upcoming activities and livestreams.
Be sure to follow @eMLS on Twitter for the latest updates on the eMLS Tournament Special, produced in partnership with Engine Shop.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 13, 2020
- Isolation Inspiration: How Guppy's Soccer Mantra Can Help Players During Lockdown - Nashville SC
- MLS Unites to Inspire Kids - MLS
- Chicharito & Diomande Star in El Trafico and MLS Unites to Inspire Kids: This Week in MLS - MLS
- Inter Miami CF Players to Participate in Twitch Rivals Sportsworld Ft. Fortnite for Charity - Inter Miami CF
- Aaron Long to Represent New York Red Bulls in eMLS Tournament Special on FS1 and Fox Deportes - New York Red Bulls
- Erik Godoy and Alex 'Exraa' Gonzalez-Aldana to Represent Whitecaps FC in eMLS Tournament Special - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Major League Soccer and FOX Sports Launch eMLS Tournament Special - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Midfielder Fafa Picault to Represent FC Dallas in Major League Soccer and FOX Sports EMLS Tournament Special - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire FC Defender Francisco Calvo and eMLS Competitor Enrique Espinoza to Participate in eMLS Tournament Special on Sunday - Chicago Fire
- Houston Dynamo Join Major League Soccer and FOX Sports for eMLS Tournament Special on FS1 and FOX Deportes - Houston Dynamo
- Kuzain to Compete in eMLS Tournament Special - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy Forward Chicharito Headlines eMLS Tournament Special - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City Forward Nani and eMLS Competitor FIFA Abe Join Major League Soccer and FOX Sports in eMLS Tournament Special - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer and FOX Sports Launch eMLS Tournament Special Sunday, April 19 on FS1 and FOX Deportes - MLS
- Revolution Midfielder Diego Fagundez and eMLS Competitor John Oliveira to Compete in eMLS Tournament Special - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC's Broadcast Schedule of Re-Airs: April 13-19 - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: July 13-19
- Chicago Fire FC Joins Group B in MLS Is Back Tournament
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires up to $200,000 in General Allocation Money from New England Revolution for Matt Polster's MLS Rights
- Chicago Fire FC's First MLS Is Back Tournament Match against Nashville SC Postponed
- Chicago Fire FC to Host "Drive-In Matchday, Presented by Continental TireÃ¢ÂÂ at Soldier Field for MLS Is Back Tournament Opener on July 8