Chicago Fire FC Acquires Argentine Midfielder Gaston Gimenez as Designated Player
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC announced today that the Club has acquired holding midfielder GastÃ³n Giménez via transfer from Club Atlético Vélez Sarsfield. Giménez will be added to the Fire's roster as a Designated Player pending a medical and receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P1 Visa. He is under contract with the Fire through the 2021 season with a Club option for the 2022 season.
"We are thrilled to acquire a player with the quality of GastÃ³n Giménez," said Chicago Fire FC Head Coach Raphael Wicky. "GastÃ³n has a great left foot and is very gifted in the technical and physical aspects of the game. In addition, his humility and desire to always give his best for the team will fit in very well with the culture that we are establishing here at the Fire. I am looking forward to welcoming him to Chicago and having him be a leader on our team."
Giménez, 28, comes to Chicago with more than 225 appearances across the last 10 seasons in Argentina. He joins the Fire from Superliga Argentina side Vélez Sarsfield, where he has made 47 appearances across all competitions since the beginning of the 2018-19 campaign. Additionally, at the international level, Giménez has earned one cap for Argentina's senior team, featuring in a friendly against Mexico on Nov. 17, 2018.
A native of Formosa, Argentina, Giménez originally began his career in Argentina's second division, signing with Club Almirante Brown ahead of the 2011-12 season. The midfielder spent three seasons with Almirante Brown, making 90 appearances. Giménez then spent one season with Atlético TucumÃ¡n in 2014, before transferring to Superliga Argentina club Godoy Cruz in 2015.
Since progressing to the Superliga Argentina, Giménez has played in his home country's top division for the past six seasons. In three years with Godoy Cruz, he played in 68 matches across all competitions, including seven appearances in the Copa Libertadores in 2017. Following a successful run with Godoy Cruz, he signed with Argentina powerhouse Club Estudiantes de La Plata and made 13 appearances during the 2017-18 campaign, before joining Vélez Sarsfield.
Giménez will occupy an international slot on the Fire's 2020 roster.
The Fire will kick off the 2020 MLS season on the road versus reigning MLS Cup champion Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday, March 1 at 2:00 p.m. CT (ESPN). Chicago will officially make its homecoming to Soldier Field on Saturday, March 21 when the team hosts Atlanta United FC in its 2020 home opener at 2:30 p.m. CT (Univision).
Single-match tickets for all 17 of the Fire's home games are available now by calling 888-MLS-FIRE or by visiting ChicagoFireFC.com.
Transaction: Chicago Fire FC acquires GastÃ³n Giménez as a Designated Player via transfer from Club Atlético Vélez Sarsfield.
Name: GastÃ³n Giménez (He-men-ez)
Weight: 194 lbs.
Date of Birth: July 27, 1991
Hometown: Formosa, Argentina
Birthplace: Formosa, Argentina
Last Club: Club Atlético Vélez Sarsfield
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 24, 2020
- Six Days to Debut: DeLaGarza and Ulloa Look Forward to First MLS Match - Inter Miami CF
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: February 24, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Join Nashville SC's Founding MLS Member Program Before February 29 - Nashville SC
- The Village Stand Sold out for Season Opener - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy Acquire General Allocation Money from Sporting Kansas City - LA Galaxy
- Chicago Fire FC Expand Spanish-Language Content Offering, Launch @VamosFire on Twitter - Chicago Fire
- Sporting Signs 18-Year-Old Goalkeeper John Pulskamp - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City SC Waives Defender Jonathan Dean - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Motagua - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Back for Season 3 - Los Angeles FC
- Your Home Jersey Is Here: Inter Miami CF Unveils Inaugural Home Jersey - Inter Miami CF
- Arriola Undergoes Successful Surgery to Repair ACL - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Argentine Midfielder Gaston Gimenez as Designated Player - Chicago Fire
- Vanderbilt Health Joins Nashville Soccer Club as Exclusive Health Care Provider - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.