Chicago Fire Draws Columbus Crew SC 1-1 in Carolina Challenge Cup
CHARLESTON, S.C. (Feb. 16, 2019) - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club opened the 2019 Carolina Challenge Cup with a 1-1 draw against Columbus Crew SC at MUSC Health Stadium on Saturday evening.
The Fire opened scoring in the 16th minute of play when midfielder Aleksandar Katai turned and slipped a pass into space for midfielder Djordje Mihailovic. Quickly reacting to the pass, Mihailovic unleashed a shot from the edge of the box, beating Crew SC goalkeeper Zack Steffen to provide the Fire with a 1-0 lead.
Ten minutes later, Crew SC managed to equalize when a cross into the box from defender Waylon Francis connected with forward Gyasi Zardes, who nodded the ball into the back of the net from close range.
Next up, the Fire will resume play in the Carolina Challenge Cup with a midweek contest against MLS expansion side FC Cincinnati on Wednesday, Feb. 20 at MUSC Health Stadium. Beginning at 6:30 p.m. CT, the Fire's match against FC Cincinnati will be streamed live on www.charlestonbattery.com. The Fire's final match of the tournament will be played Saturday, Feb. 23 at 6:30 p.m. CT versus host Charleston Battery.
Saturday's match marked the fourth time the Fire have competed in the Carolina Challenge Cup. The Fire won the 2013 edition of the Carolina Challenge Cup. Opponents that year included the Charleston Battery, Houston Dynamo and Vancouver Whitecaps FC.
With the 1-1 draw against Crew SC, the Fire's all-time record in the Carolina Challenge Cup now stands at 2-2-0 (W-D-L).
Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic recorded his first preseason goal for the Fire in 2019, scoring the game's opening goal in the 16th minute of play.
Five players made their first preseason appearance for the Fire in a match against MLS competition on Saturday. Goalkeeper David Ousted, defender Marcelo and midfielder Cristian Martinez each earned a start in the match against Crew SC. Forward Fabian Herbers entered the game at the start of the second half and forward Amando Moreno made an appearance late in the second half.
Saturday's game marked the first time the Fire has worn its 2019 adidas white secondary kits.
The Fire today announced the 2019 jersey numbers for its new signings, including David Ousted (1), Marcelo (2), Przemyslaw Frankowski (11), Cristian Martinez (18), Amando Moreno (20), Fabian Herbers (21), Jeremiah Gutjahr (33) and Andre Reynolds II (36).
Fire broadcast duo Dan Kelly (play-by-play) and Frank Klopas (color analyst) will be in the booth calling Wednesday's game versus FC Cincinnati.
Chicago Fire 1:1 Columbus Crew SC
Feb. 16, 2019 - MUSC Health Stadium - Charleston, S.C.
CHI - Mihailovic (1) (Katai) 16'
CLB - Zardes (1) (Francis) 26'
CLB - Trapp (Ejection) 31'
CHI - Campos (Caution) 73'
Chicago Fire: Ousted; Campos (Hasler 74'), Marcelo, Kappelhof, Edwards (Corrales 74'); McCarty ©, Schweinsteiger (Herbers 45'), Katai (Bronico 56'), Mihailovic, Martinez; Nikolic (Moreno 74')
Subs not used: Sanchez, Cleveland, Lillard, Adams, Gutjahr
Columbus Crew SC: Steffen; Afful, Mensah, Sauro (Abubakar 77'), Francis; Trapp ©, Artur, Meram (Jimenez 65'), Higuain (Clark 70'), Santos (Madalena 81'); Zardes(Williams 84')
Subs not used: Bendik, Kempin, Argudo, Sosa, Crongale, Opoku, Hansen, Keita, Maloney, Mullins, Berhalter, Morris
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 16, 2019
- Orlando City SC Defeats NYCFC in OC Invitational - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Continue Mobile Mini Sun Cup Play against New York Red Bulls Saturday Night - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Opens Arizona Stint with 4-1 Win over Phoenix Rising FC - Real Salt Lake
- D.C. United Win 1-0 against the Tampa Bay Rowdies in the Suncoast Invitational - D.C. United
- Adi, Mattocks record goals in FCC's first match of Carolina Challenge Cup - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Fall to Minnesota United FC, 1-0, in Orlando City Invitational - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Draws Columbus Crew SC 1-1 in Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
- Impact Defeats the Philadelphia Union 1-0 in Third Preseason Game - Montreal Impact
- Earthquakes Defeat LAFC 3-0 in Preseason Contest - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Drops 3-0 Contest against San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- FC Dallas Defeats Seattle Sounders FC, 2-1 - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Concludes Tucson Training Camp with Final Exhibition Match Versus FC Dallas - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Loan Logan Gdula to Phoenix Rising FC - FC Cincinnati
- MNUFC Signs Chase Gasper and Hassani Dotson - Minnesota United FC
- LyesMTLin Dallas for the eMLS League Series Two Tournament - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Re-Signs Enrique Espinoza as eSports Player for 2020 eMLS Season
- Chicago Fire FC to Kick off 2020 MLS Season on March 1 against Reigning MLS Cup Champions Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires First Round Draft Pick from Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire FC Exercises Contract Option on CJ Sapong and Raheem Edwards
- Chicago Fire Reveals New Primary Badge and Brand Identity Ahead of Move to Soldier Field in 2020