Chavez's Stunning Free Kick Rallies San Jose Earthquakes to 1-1 Draw against Colorado Rapids
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Marvin Chavez struck from 30 yards out on a free kick to rally the San Jose Earthquakes to a 1-1 draw against the Colorado Rapids on Saturday at Buck Shaw Stadium.
The result was the seventh time the Earthquakes (3-4-6, 15 pts.) have come back to win or tie a match in the second half this season, tops in MLS. Additionally, San Jose extended its unbeaten streak against the Rapids (4-4-4, 16 pts.) to five games - 3-0-2 since a 2-1 loss at Buck Shaw Stadium on Aug. 13, 2011.
The Rapids were first to the scoreboard thanks to strike from Nathan Sturgis. Martin Rivero swung a corner kick to the near post where Sturgis won position and volleyed home his first goal of the season in the 24th minute.
Once again, the Earthquakes found an answer in the waning moments of the second half. Chavez teed his shot up in the 78th minute, knuckling a shot past Rapids goalkeeper Clint Irwin for his first goal of 2013.
Earthquakes defender Jason Hernandez made his first appearance since March 30, starting and playing the full 90 minutes. The veteran center back missed seven matches due to a concussion suffered against the Houston Dynamo on March 30 and a calf strain he picked up during training in April.
San Jose returns to action on Saturday, May 25 against FC Dallas in Texas. Kickoff is 5:30 p.m. PT on Comcast SportsNet California, 1590 KLIV and 1370 KZSF.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 18, 2013
- Chavez's Stunning Free Kick Rallies San Jose Earthquakes to 1-1 Draw against Colorado Rapids - San Jose Earthquakes
- New England wins 2-0 over Houston - Houston Dynamo
- Clark Phillips' first-half brace leads Timbers U-23s to second straight win - Portland Timbers
- Shorthanded Chicago Fire Fall 1-0 to Philadelphia Union - Chicago Fire
- Timbers Rally for 2-2 Road Draw at Vancouver, Extend Unbeaten - Portland Timbers
- Oduro the Difference in Toronto - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union Defeat Chicago Fire 1-0 at PPL Park - Philadelphia Union
- Terrific goals from Camilo, Koffie see 'Caps earn Cascadia point - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chivas Academy Remains Unbeaten with Jorge Vergara as Witness - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Crew Battles past Toronto FC 1-0 - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Announce Armed Forces Day Activities - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.