Charleston Holds off Greenville, 4-3, on Sunday
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Drive dropped a one-run game to the Charleston RiverDogs, 4-3, on Sunday afternoon at Fluor Field in the Battle of the Palmetto State Rivalry, presented by Spinx.
The Drive opened the game with two runs in its first go-around. Cole Brannen and Jordan Wren drew walks to put two on with one out. Devlin Granberg tripled to right to score both and put the Drive in front, 2-0.
Charleston then put a run on the board in the top of the second. Back-to-back walks to start the inning put two aboard, before a sac bunt moved them to second and third with one out. Eduardo Torrealba then hit a sac fly to right, scoring the runner from third to cut the lead to 2-1.
Greenville held the lead through the first five innings, as Hunter Haworth allowed just three hits over his final three innings. Haworth allowed just one run on four hits with four strikeouts against three walks in 5.0 innings of work.
Charleston put together a pair of runs in the sixth to claim its first lead of the game. Frederick Cuevas and Eduardo Navas recorded back-to-back RBI singles to push two across and make it a 3-2 Charleston lead.
The Riverdogs added a run in the eighth, as Navas drew a bases-load hit-by-pitch to give the away team a two-run lead. Logan Browning worked out of the jam with a 5-4-3 double play to end the inning.
Greenville responded in the bottom half, as Triston Casas doubled to center and Alan Marrero followed with an RBI single to center to bring him in and make it a 4-3 ballgame.
Brannen paced the Drive with a 2-for-4 afternoon with a run and a walk. Granberg added the two-RBI triple and Casas recorded another extra-base hit with a double and a run.
The two will wrap up the series on Monday with first pitch set for 7:05 p.m. Righty Brayan Bello (1-1, 4.50) takes the mound for Greenville and Roansy Contreras heads to the bump for Charleston (2-1, 3.33).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 5, 2019
- 'Birds Stun Asheville with Five-Run Rally - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Charleston Holds off Greenville, 4-3, on Sunday - Greenville Drive
- RiverDogs Overcome Shaky Start to Take Down Drive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Asheville Lets One Slip Through Their Grasp - Asheville Tourists
- Nevarez Goes Yard in 8-2 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Giarratano Gives GreenJackets Walk-Off Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Holderman Picks up Win in Return to Mound - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Walked-Off on for Third Time in 2019 - Hagerstown Suns
- Braves and BlueClaws Rained Out on Sunday - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 5) - West Virginia Power
- Five-Run Third Too Much for Power in 6-3 Loss - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.