Charles Leads the Way for USA Victory
TENERIFE, Spain - September 25, 2018 - Tina Charles tabbed a team-high 18 points as the USA Women's World Cup Team beat Latvia, 102-76, at the 2018 FIBA World Cup. The victory secures USA with an automatic bid to the quarterfinals.
"We are really happy with the result," Charles began. "We wanted to come out and have a really good defensive effort, and I think we did that."
Trailing 7-6, the USA took the lead with a 6-0 run and then traded baskets for the next few minutes. USA's last 11 points in the quarter helped the Americans to a 28-19 advantage after 10 minutes.
The USA broke open its lead to as many as 15 points late in the second period, but Latvia chipped in five points to conclude play at the break carrying a 10-point deficit to the locker-rooms.
At the midway point, the USA had committed just three turnovers.
The Americans credited an 11-point lead midway through the third quarter, before two USA free throws snowballed a 17-0 run, putting the victors ahead 78-50 heading into the fourth period.
Latvia caught fire from distance drilling six treys in the final window but conversely unable to do much on defense. The Americans' 102 points marked their highest offensive output thus far. USA averaged 96.3 points per contest.
Charles and USA will have two days rest before its quarterfinals matchup. Its foe will be determined in the meantime.
"The next two days, I'm looking forward to this day off, be able to enjoy Tenerife," Charles continued. "And then, we are going to get back to it in practice, and I look forward to whoever it is that we play, just getting to that goal that we want to accomplish."
The New York Liberty big is averaging 13.3 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.7 assists through three contests with her best performance being the one displayed today.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 25, 2018
- Nurse's Game-High In Win Over France Gifts Canada Quarterfinals Appearance - New York Liberty
- Charles Leads the Way for USA Victory - New York Liberty
- Clarendon, Tuck Move Closer to Gold - Connecticut Sun
- Allen and Australia Down Turkey 90-64 to Advance to World Cup Quarterfinals - New York Liberty
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Liberty Stories
- Charles and USA Downs Australia to Claim Third-Straight FIBA World Cup Gold
- Nurse's Game-High In Win Over France Gifts Canada Quarterfinals Appearance
- Charles Leads the Way for USA Victory
- Allen and Australia Down Turkey 90-64 to Advance to World Cup Quarterfinals
- Charles and USA Earn Hard-Fought 100-88 Win over China