Champions Make Four Releases Ahead of Regular Season
OTTAWA - Champions manager Hal Lanier has made his final roster decisions ahead of the Can-Am League's deadline, releasing five players from his camp roster to shrink the opening day lineup down to 22 players.
RHP SETH DOUGLAS, INF BRENDAN SKIDMORE, INF JAKE TAYLOR, and RHP JARED PRICE have all been released from their camp invitations or contracts.
"It's really tough releasing guys," said Lanier after he spoke with the five players. "I don't care how long you've been around, you never have the right words. But we also try to find the younger guys jobs."
Douglas and Skidmore were both invited to camp out of the team's open tryout last week, impressing Champions coaches enough to earn a roster spot with the team. They both played in preseason games against the NCBL All-Stars and the Trois-Rivieres Aigles.
Taylor suited up against Trois-Rivieres, and was a camp invite at the end of the offseason. He was looking to find a spot in the infield after spending the last two years in the Pacific Association with San Rafael.
Price spent time with the Champions in 2017, after being brought in as a midseason acquisition to fill up the bullpen. He finished the season with a 1-0 record and a 3.50 ERA, while striking out 18 in as many innings pitched.
"A few new guys are coming in and we want to see how they do in the first two weeks of the season," Lanier said.
The Champions will return to the field TONIGHT against the NCBL's Cornwall River Rats in the third and final preseason game at 7:05 p.m. before hitting the field this weekend for the team's home opener.
Tickets for all Champions regular season home games can be purchased online at www.ottawachampions.com, or by calling 613-745-BALL (2255). Visit the RCGT Park box office during open hours to purchase in person.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian American League message board...
Canadian American League Stories from May 16, 2018
- Champions Finish Preseason on a High Note - Ottawa Champions
- Champions Make Four Releases Ahead of Regular Season - Ottawa Champions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ottawa Champions Stories
- Baca Walks off Capitales to Give Champions 5-4 Victory in Final Game of 2019
- Aumont and Brown Take Home Can-Am League All-Star Honours
- Malik Collymore Ties Can-Am Record for Stolen Bases in a Season But Champions Lose 9-4
- Aumont Tosses Sixth Complete Game of the Year as Champions Down Capitales 2-1
- Champions Pitching Shuts Down Boulders in 5-3 Victory