Central Scouting Eyes Coe
NORTH BAY, Ont. - Right winger Brandon Coe of the North Bay Battalion is among 48 Ontario Hockey League skaters in midseason rankings by the National Hockey League's central scouting department for the 2020 NHL Draft.
Coe, who turned 19 on Dec. 1, is rated 47th among 217 North American-based skaters on one of four lists released Monday.
A six-foot-four, 190-pound resident of Ajax, Ont., Coe has scored 15 goals and earned 21 assists for 36 points in 38 games this season. In 166 games over two and a half seasons, he has 42 goals and 54 assists for 96 points.
A total of 121 Canadian Hockey League skaters are on the list, including 43 from the Western Hockey League and 30 from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
Coe, a first-round pick, third overall, in the 2017 OHL Priority Selection from the Toronto Nationals minor midgets, is to play for Team White in the CHL-NHL Top Prospects Game at Hamilton on Thursday night.
"It's nice for Brandon to be recognized for the upcoming draft, with having lots of room the rest of the year to climb the list," said interim coach Ryan Oulahen. "He's been a big offensive contributor for us this year. We're really excited for what the future holds for him."
The top-rated OHLer is centre Quinton Byfield of the Sudbury Wolves at No. 2, followed in the third through fifth positions by defenceman Jamie Drysdale of the Erie Otters, centre Cole Perfetti of the Saginaw Spirit and centre Marco Rossi of the Ottawa 67's respectively.
Rated No. 1 overall is left winger Alexis Lafreniere of the QMJHL's Rimouski Oceanic.
The NHL also ranked 31 North American-based goaltenders, including six OHLers, led by Nicolas Daws of the Guelph Storm at No. 1. Eight WHL and five QMJHL goaltenders made the list.
A total of 135 European-based skaters and 10 European-based goaltenders made up the other two lists compiled ahead of the draft, scheduled June 26-27 at Montreal.
Players are first-time eligible for the NHL Draft in the year they turn 18, unless they are born Sept. 16 or later, in which case they must wait until the following year.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2020
- Byfield Partners with NEO Kids Foundation to Launch Q's Kids Program - Sudbury Wolves
- Firebirds' Oksentyuk Listed in Midterm Rankings for NHL Draft - Flint Firebirds
- 57 OHL Players Included on NHL Central Scouting's Midterm Draft Rankings - OHL
- OHL 'On the Run' Player of the Week: Philip Tomasino - Oshawa Generals
- News: Perfetti, Solovyov Listed on 2020 NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings - Saginaw Spirit
- Generals' Philip Tomasino Named OHL 'On the Run' Player of the Week - OHL
- London Knights to Retire Patrick Kane's Number 88 - London Knights
- Central Scouting Eyes Coe - North Bay Battalion
- Knights Outpace Greyhounds - London Knights
- Trade Deadline Summary - Barrie Colts
- Rangers Chief Operating Officer Steve Bienkowski to Retire in June 2020 - Kitchener Rangers
- Petes Fall to Generals for First Time this Season - Peterborough Petes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.