'Cats Plucked by 'Ducks in Akron
AKRON, OH - Bo Bichette continued his hot hitting with a double and a run scored, but the New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Blue Jays) fell to the Akron RubberDucks (Indians) 8-2 on Wednesday night at Canal Park.
New Hampshire hit the board with two outs in the top of the third inning. Bichette doubled and scored on a single by Cavan Biggio for a 1-0 lead. Akron then scored the game's next eight runs before Jon Berti delivered a run scoring single in the top of the seventh inning for the Fisher Cats (38-26).
The RubberDucks (37-28) took the lead in the bottom of the third inning. Sam Haggerty doubled and two walks loaded the bases. Haggerty scored on a sacrifice fly and Connor Marabell plated Tyler Krieger and Ka'ai Tom with a double to right-center that put Akron up 3-1.
Akron took control with four more runs in the bottom of the fifth inning. Tom delivered a run with a single, Joe Sever doubled home a run, Mark Mathias hit a sacrifice fly and Willi Castro's RBI single made it 7-1, ending the outing for Jordan Romano (L, 8-2). Romano dropped his second consecutive decision to Akron, allowing seven runs on six hits in 4.2 IP.
Sever drove in his third run of the game for Akron in the last of the sixth inning with a sacrifice fly to make it 8-1 Akron.
Aaron Civale picked up the win, working five innings. He allowed one run on six hits for Akron.
Gunnar Heidt had a three-hit game in a losing cause with two singles and a double. Jonathan Davis also had a single and a double, part of New Hampshire's 11-hit attack.
The rubber game of the series with the RubberDucks will be on Thursday at 7:05 p.m. Pregame coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on the WGIR Fisher Cats Radio Network. RHP T. J. Zeuch (4-2, 3.22) seeks his fifth consecutive win for New Hampshire, while Akron will send RHP Michael Peoples (1-1, 1.32 ERA) to the hill.
The next homestand opens on Friday, June 22 with the first of three games with the Reading Fightin Phils at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium. For tickets and information, visit wwwnhfishercats.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Baysox Split Wednesday Doubleheader - Bowie Baysox
- Thunder Split Twinbill with Baysox - Trenton Thunder
- Reynolds' Slam Sets Tone in Runaway Curve Win - Altoona Curve
- Sens Take Sixth Straight Road Series with 5-3 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Silenced by Goats on Wednesday Night - Erie SeaWolves
- 'Cats Plucked by 'Ducks in Akron - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Ward and Gutierrez Power Senators to Fourth Straight Win - Harrisburg Senators
- RubberDucks Handle Fisher Cats 8-2 - Akron RubberDucks
- Back-To-Back Homers in the First, Squirrels Win 3-0 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Evan and the Goats Grill Erie - Hartford Yard Goats
- Binghamton Has Trouble with the Curve, 7-2 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Back-To-Back Homers; Back-To-Back Wins - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Gittens, Navarro Activated from DL - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 13th at Richmond - Portland Sea Dogs
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Reading - Game #63 - Harrisburg Senators
- Game Notes vs. Hartford - Erie SeaWolves
- Craig Drives in Five, Bats Come Alive as Curve Top Ponies - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Hampshire Fisher Cats Stories
- Two-Time World Series Champion Mike Mordecai Named Fisher Cats Manager
- Fisher Cats Announce Front Office Staff Promotions
- Granite State Baseball Dinner Donation Total Surpasses $1.7 Million Since 2007
- 2004 World Series Champion Orlando Cabrera to Attend Granite State Baseball Dinner
- First-Round Pick Grant Lavigne to Attend Granite State Baseball Dinner