Casimiro Mystifies RubberDucks
Reading's Ranfi Casimiro took a no-hit bid into the eighth inning, and Jose Pujols delivered a crucial RBI single, as the Fightin Phils claimed a 2-1 road win over the Akron RubberDucks Tuesday night at Canal Park in Akron, Ohio.
Casimiro (5-2) took his bid for a no-hitter and a 2-1 lead into the eighth inning. He walked lead-off batter Joe Sever to start the inning, but retired Ka'ai Tom on a pop-up to short. Mark Mathias was next and lined a clean single up the middle to wreck the no-hitter and end Casimiro's outing after 7.1 innings. Lefty reliever Kyle Dohy induced a fielder's choice by Daniel Salters for the second out, but walked Sam Haggerty to load the bases. Guarding a one-run lead with the sacks full, Dohy managed to strike out Tyler Krieger on a 2-2 pitch to end the threat.
Casimiro was dominant early, retiring the first 18 batters he faced. After Reading scored twice to claim a 2-0 lead during a lengthy side in the top of the seventh, Casimiro issued back-to-back walks to open the bottom of the seventh, giving an opening to the Ducks for the first time all night. Andrew Calica advanced the runners with a sharp grounder to first baseman Darick Hall, and Nellie Rodriguez forced Sam Haggerty home with a grounder to second to spoil the shutout. Casimiro, however, responded by retiring Connor Marabell on a fly ball to left to end the inning. Casimiro threw 102 pitches, fanned six and walked three.
Aaron Civale (5-6) started for the RubberDucks and deserved a better fate. He gave up just four hits while working into the seventh inning. He served up a triple to Hall in the seventh and then Pujols poked a soft line drive to right to make it a 1-0 game. After the Pujols' hit, Civale was taken out due a developing a finger-blister on his pitching hand. Lefty R.C. Orlan allowed an RBI double to Deivi Grullon to extend the Reading lead to 2-0.
The RubberDucks (66-48) threated in the ninth, getting a lead-off walk to Calica, but Dohy retired the next three hitters to record his first save and complete the combined one-hitter...Marabell was 0-4, snapping his 19-game hit streak...Akron has lost three of the last four games...Time of game: 2:39... Attendance: 2,835.
On the Pond
The RubberDucks and Fightin Phils will continue the series on Wednesday night at 7:05. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 7, 2018
- Erie with a Four-Run Sixth, Beats Portland 5-3 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Raudy Revives Senators in the 10th with Walk-Off - Harrisburg Senators
- Big Inning Dooms Baysox in 8-3 Defeat - Bowie Baysox
- Casimiro Mystifies RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- 'Cats Bats Sink Baysox Tuesday Night - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- No Matter How You Read It, Goats Lose Heart Breaker - Hartford Yard Goats
- Casimiro dazzles in 2-1 win over Akron - Reading Fightin Phils
- Remember Me? Gage Guides Ponies Past Old Team - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Return of the Matt; Gage Deals against Former Team - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Harris Selected to Lead AFL Prospects - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #114 - Rumble Ponies (53-60) at Flying Squirrels (53-58) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- RubberDucks Homestand Highlights, August 7-12 - Akron RubberDucks
- Game Notes vs. Portland - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Homestand Preview August 7 to August 12 - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 7th at Erie - Portland Sea Dogs
- Yard Goats Announce 2019 Schedule - Hartford Yard Goats
- Trey Quinn Headlines Redskins Day at Diamond - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Fightins to Retire Roberto Clemente's #21 - Reading Fightin Phils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Soap Box Derby Named as 2019 RubberDucks Hot Stove Banquet Charity Recipient
- Emmy-Nominated Actor Corbin Bernsen Headlining 2019 Hot Stove
- RubberDucks "20 Days of Giving" Starts Friday
- RubberDucks Announce Staff Additions for 2019 Season
- RubberDucks See Championship Hopes End