Carter Hart Invited to Hockey Canada Program of Excellence Goaltending Camp
EVERETT, Wash. - The Everett Silvertips (@WHLSilvertips) announced in conjunction with Hockey Canada that Silvertips goaltender Carter Hart has been invited to Hockey Canada's Program of Excellence Goaltending Camp, June 9-11 in Calgary at Markin MacPhail Centre.
The event brings together Canada's top goaltending talent with elite level instructors from across North America. The camp is the initial evaluation stage for summer and selection camps at the under-17, under-18, and under-20 levels.
"For the past 11 years, this goaltending camp has allowed us to monitor, evaluate and continue to develop elite-level players in a short amount of time," said Scott Salmond, Hockey Canada's vice-president of hockey operations and men's national teams. "Some players have just ended their seasons, but the opportunity to scout them all season and through this camp, we're able to look ahead and plan for our development and selection camps with the talent we have."
Hart, 18, will participate as part of the U20 roster, one of three goaltenders from the WHL in the U20 category (Ian Scott of Prince Albert and Stuart Skinner of Lethbridge). He is the reigning back-to-back recipient of the WHL Goaltender of the Year award (Del Wilson Memorial Trophy) and the Silvertips Most Valuable Player award. As a WHL First Team All-Star (Western Conference) honoree, he led the league in shutouts (9), goals-against-average (1.99), was tied for the league lead in save percentage (.927) and went 32-11-6-2 in 54 games during the 2016-17 campaign, while helping guide the Silvertips to their second U.S. Division title in three years.
He backstopped Team Canada to a Silver Medal in this past winter's World Junior Championships in Toronto and Montreal, earning a 2.38 goals-against-average in four games of competition. He earned Player of the Game honors in Canada's semifinal victory on Jan. 4 over Sweden at Montreal.
The Sherwood Park, Alberta native is second on the Silvertips all-time shutout list (19), trailing Leland Irving by two and seven away from the league record. In 2015-16 he earned the Canadian Hockey League Goaltender of the Year award. Last summer, Hart was the first goaltender selected in last year's National Hockey League Entry Draft and selected by the Philadelphia Flyers in the second round (48th overall). In 149 games of his Silvertips and WHL career in net, he has a record of 85-40-9-9, goals against average of 2.13, and a save percentage of .921.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from June 5, 2017
- Carter Hart Invited to Hockey Canada Program of Excellence Goaltending Camp - Everett Silvertips
- Stankowski Invited to Hockey Canada Goaltending Camp - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Lambert Named Chiefs' Head Coach - Spokane Chiefs
- Dan Lambert Named Chiefs' Head Coach - Spokane Chiefs
- Cougars Sign Forward Boston Maxwell - Prince George Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Everett Silvertips Stories
- Silvertips Clinch Sixth U.S. Division Title and Top Record in the Western Conference
- Sellout Crowd Sees Tips Win in OT
- Silvertips Recall Goaltender Blake Lyda
- Fan Appreciation Night to Host Expected Large Crowd in Downtown Everett, March 16
- Silvertips Can't Hold Two-Goal Advantage, Fall 4-2