Carolina RailHawks sign Sierra Leone International Mustapha Sama
Cary, NC (Tuesday, March 24, 2009) - The Carolina RailHawks announced today the signing of Sierra Leone International defender Mustapha Pa Sama pending International clearance and USSF approval. Sama will make his debut in RailHawks Orange on Friday, March 27, when the Railhawks take on CD Olimpia of Honduras at 8:00 p.m. Tickets ($20, $27.50 and $35) are still available at the LGFCU Box Office, by calling 919-859-KICK (5425) or by visiting www.carolinarailhawks.com.
"Sama brings big strong physical presence to the team," said RailHawks Head Coach Martin Rennie. "He played in the top divisions in Belgium and Norway and has also captained the Sierra Leone team a few times. We are very happy to have him join the RailHawks."
"I knew about the team through my friend Sallieu Bundu," said RailHawks newest defender Mustapha Sama. "I after speaking with him and with coach Rennie I had decided I wanted to come play in America where soccer continues to grow. I hope to share my experiences with the younger players and want to give my best to the team so we can win a lot of trophies."
A very tall central defender at 6'3", Mustapha Sama, started his soccer career at the age of 17 with the Wellington People of Sierra Leone's National Premier League. He was immediately noticed by different teams in Europe and spent some time at Vasalunds IF in Sweden and FK Haugesund of Norway's First Division. While in Norway, he scored nine goals in 48 appearances. In 2002 he transferred to Charleroi in Belgium's first division where he saw action in 32 games while tallying two goals.
Sama also played in Vietnam and Jakarta before spending the last season with Al-Wahda of Damascus in Syria. Mustapha Sama continues to be a staple on the Sierra Leone National Team where he had 36 caps since 1996 and has also recently been called to captain the team on four occasions.
With the USL-1 season just around the corner and opening day on April 11th, the Carolina RailHawks' 2009 season ticket drive is in full swing with the "All-Inclusive" package, that includes the CD Olimpia exhibition on March 27, as well as other packages tailored to every soccer fan's needs. For more information contact the LGFCU Box Office at 919-859-KICK (5425) or visit www.carolinarailhawks.com.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from March 24, 2009
- Carolina RailHawks sign Sierra Leone International Mustapha Sama - North Carolina FC
- The Impact Plays Its Second Game In Florida Wednesday - Montreal Impact
- Miami FC Opens 2009 Pre-Season Camp - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
- Battery signs Matt Bobo and Tsuyoshi Yoshitake - Charleston Battery
- 10 Impact Games On Radio-Canada Television - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- Midfielder Duval Wapiwo Joins North Carolina FC on Loan
- North Carolina Football Club Announces Open Tryouts
- North Carolina FC Strengthens Roster with Youthful Talents Austin Panchot, Yamikani Chester
- Midfielder Victor Igbekoyi Rejoins North Carolina FC
- Fan Favorite Austin aa Luz Returns to North Carolina FC