Cardinals Win Game Three against Pirates
BRISTOL, VA - After being swept in the doubleheader by the Pirates in game one, the Cardinals looked to take game three and make up some ground in the Appy League West standings. The Cardinals went on to win game three, 11-5.
Johnson City started the scoring in the top of the first after Jonatan Machado doubled (7) to lead off the game. Nolan Gorman reached on an error and Machado reached third. Leandro Cedeno singled and Machado scored from third to give the Cardinals a 1-0 lead. Bristol answered with one in the bottom of the first to tie the game at one.
Tommy Parsons got the start for Johnson City. He went 5.1 innings, gave up six hits, 2 earned runs, three walks and one strikeout en route to his third win of the season.
The Pirates and Cardinals were shut out until the top of the fifth. Johnson City put two on the board in the top of the fifth. Brian Sanchez doubled (1) to lead off the inning. With two outs, Leandro Cedeno hit a two-run homerun (9) to give Johnson City a 3-1 lead. Bristol answered with one in the bottom of the fifth to cut the deficit 3-2.
The Cardinals put three in the top of the sixth. With one out Donivan Williams singled. Michael Perri then doubled (10) to put runners on second and third. Zach Jackson hit a sac fly to score Williams to give the Cardinals a 4-2 lead. Brian Sanchez then singled and Michael Perri scored 5-2. Then Jonatan Machado was hit by a pitch. With first and second and two outs, Nolan Gorman reached on a fielding error and Sanchez scored to make the score 6-2.
The final three innings, the Cardinals scored five runs to win 11-5 over the Pirates
The Cardinals used two pitchers after Tommy Parsons. Enrique Perez, pitched two innings for the Cardinals. Enrique worked two innings, surrendered two hits, one earned run and notched two strikeouts. Evan Sisk relieved Perez. Sisk pitched 1.2 perfect innings, while notching two strikeouts.
The finale between Johnson City and Bristol is set for 7:00 p.m. tomorrow.
You can listen all season long to Johnson City Cardinals baseball on the MiLB First Pitch App, or via TuneIn Radio on the Johnson City Cardinals Radio Network.
The full schedule for the season and information regarding tickets, and promotion days can be found at jccardinals.com or by calling the Cardinals Office at (423) 461- 4866.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from August 8, 2018
- Duran Homers, Yankees Take Series over Rays - Pulaski Yankees
- Mejia Pitches Gem, D-Braves Win Fifth Straight Series - Danville Braves
- Cardinals Win Game Three against Pirates - Johnson City Cardinals
- Pulaski Yankees Add Live Cow Raffle to Agriculture Night Promotion - Pulaski Yankees
- Pen Stumbles in Pirates Loss - Bristol Pirates
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Johnson City Cardinals Stories
- Johnson City Cardinals Win Three League Awards
- Cards Capture Appalachian League Championship
- Cards Rebound in Burlington, Championship Rubber Match Set for Wednesday
- Cards Look to Even Championship Series Tuesday
- Cards Punch Ticket to Appalachian League Championship