'Caps Fall in 5-3 Defeat
COMSTOCK PARK, MI - Eric De La Rosa captured the longest hitting streak for any West Michigan Whitecaps player this season, but the team fell short as part of a 5-3 loss to the Lansing Lugnuts in front of 4,904 fans at LMCU Ballpark.
The 24-year-old De La Rosa finished the night 1-for-4 with an RBI, capturing the longest hitting streak of any Whitecaps hitter this season at 11 games. De La Rosa is hitting .409 with two doubles, a pair of triples, and six RBIs over his last five games.
Lansing jumped all over 'Caps starter Brendan White, plating four runs on seven hits - including a two-run home run from Patrick McColl before De La Rosa roped an RBI-double to make the score 4-1 at the end of the fourth. The Lugnuts added another run in the fifth inning as Andrew Navigato and Wenceel Perez both added individual RBIs to make it a 5-3 Lansing lead at the end of the fifth. West Michigan didn't manage a hit the remainder of the game as Lansing closer Brock Whittlesley slammed the door in the ninth to earn the save and a Lugnuts victory.
Lansing starter Colin Peluse (4-2) allowed three runs through six innings of work in his fourth win, as Whittlesley collected his second save of the season with a pair of strikeouts. White (2-4) allowed five runs on ten hits while striking out four in his fourth loss of 2021. The Lugnuts improve to 34-37 as the Whitecaps fall to 32-38. The Whitecaps haven't won a six-game series since a sweep of the Lake County Captains to conclude the month of May.
The Whitecaps play the final game of this six-game series against the Lansing Lugnuts from LMCU Ballpark Sunday at 7:05 pm. West Michigan sends southpaw Adam Wolf to the mound against Lugnuts pitcher David Leal. Broadcast coverage with Nate Wangler starts on the Whitecaps Baseball Network at 5:45 pm. Get your tickets for all 2021 home games now at www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from July 24, 2021
- Cedar Rapids Tops Beloit, 10-4 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Mash Four Homers, Win Third-Straight over Quad Cities - Peoria Chiefs
- 'Caps Fall in 5-3 Defeat - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Smack Four Homers in Bandits' Third-Straight Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Snappers Fall 10-4 After Eight Unanswered Runs From Kernels - Beloit Snappers
- Rattlers Rally Past South Bend for 8-4 Win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cubs Lead Early But Fall 8-4 to Wisconsin - South Bend Cubs
- Urbaez, Pucheu Lead Dragons to 4-3 Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Incredible Week Continues in Decisive 11-1 Victory - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps' Win Streak Snapped at Three - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Locos Prevail over Las Calaveras, 5-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Loons Offense Explodes Again to Beat Captains - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Transactions & Game Information: July 24 vs. Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.