'Caps earn another road point in exciting match versus New York Red Bulls
HARRISON, NJ - A road-weary Vancouver Whitecaps FC side earned another valiant point on Wednesday night in a 2-2 draw against the New York Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena.
Scott Sutter scored his first goal for the 'Caps in the 29th minute, but Brian White answered back for the Red Bulls just eight minutes later. In the second half, Andy Rose was unfortunate to concede an own goal before Fredy Montero would get it back off of a penalty kick from a Red Bulls handball in the box.
Head coach Marc Dos Santos shook things up for the travel-worn Whitecaps FC. There were six changes to the starting XI, including Zac MacMath in net and Jon Erice who returned after missing two matches due to injury.
After some staunch defending early on, the 'Caps were able to make their attacking efforts count as Scott Sutter drew first blood in the 29th minute. A heal-kick from Brett Levis was able to find Joaquín Ardaiz who took the ball all the way to the goal line before crossing it into the box, where Sutter was rushing in to put the ball away and get his first of the season.
The Red Bulls kept their pressure with a crossed ball in the 32nd that looked like it was on its way in. However, Erik Godoy was there with an acrobatic bicycle kick on the goal line to keep the match 1-0.
Brian White finally got the Red Bulls on the board in the 37th minute as he deflected the ball just over the head of Victor 'PC' Giro. Alejandro 'Kaku' Romero Gamarra sent in a cross from just outside the box, that was directed at the net by Amro Tarek with White standing just in front to head it in.
At halftime Dos Santos adjusted the team's tactics, bringing on Fredy Montero to give the 'Caps a bit of an offensive push. The result was a strong second half performance. The action started with a great chance for the former Red Bull, Felipe Martins, in the 53rd minute as he got his head on a cross from PC. However former teammate Luis Robles managed to get his hand on it to push it off the post and keep it out.
Just two minutes later, the Red Bulls took the lead. White brought the ball up the side to cross it in the box, where Rose was there to try and clear it. Instead, the ball bounced the wrong way and went behind MacMath, bringing the score to 2-1 for the Red Bulls.
In the 60th minute, Whitecaps FC would get a video review in their favour, as a handball in the box was called against the Red Bulls upon further review. Montero took the penalty kick and delivered, scoring his fourth of the season and bringing the match to a draw for the second time.
Neither team was willing to quit, with the best chance coming in the dying seconds on a breakaway chance from substitute Lucas Venuto, only for Robles to again come up with a save before Inbeom Hwang put the rebound wide, ending the match in a 2-2 draw.
Whitecaps FC are back at home this Saturday, May 25 when they host FC Dallas during Pride Night. Kickoff at BC Place is at 4 p.m. PT live on CTV/TSN and TSN Radio 1040. They will play again at home the following Friday, May 31 to host Toronto FC at BC Place in a special Anniversary Match for the 1979 NASL championship team. Visit whitecapsfc.com for ticket information.
WFC Man of the Match: Joaquín Ardaiz
Referee: Victor Rivas
29' - VAN - Scott Sutter
37' - NY - Brian White (Amro Tarek, Alejandro Romero Gamarra)
55' - NY - Andy Rose (OG)
61' - VAN - Fredy Montero (PK)
Possession: VAN 36.6% - NY 63.4%
Shots: VAN 13 - NY 18
Shots on Goal: VAN 7 - NY 3
Saves: VAN 1 - NY 5
Fouls: VAN 12 - NY 15
Offsides: VAN 1 - NY 5
Corners: VAN 6 - NY 9
Duels won: VAN 46 - NY 56
Tackles won: VAN 10 - NY 11
8' - NY - Sean Nealis
87' - VAN - Derek Cornelius
90' + 2' - VAN - Zac MacMath
New York Red Bulls
31.Luis Robles ©; 5.Connor Lade, 15.Sean Nealis, 3.Amro Tarek, 6.Kyle Duncan; 21.Omir Fernandez, 23.Cristian Casseres Jr, 7.Derrick Etienne (77.Daniel Royer 71'), 10.Alejandro Romero Gamarra, 19.Alex Muyl (27.Sean Davis 71'); 42.Brian White (74.Tom Barlow 80')
Substitutes not used
18.Ryan Meara, 25.Mathias Jorgensen, 62.Michael Murillo, 92.Kemar Lawrence
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
18.Zac MacMath; 23.Scott Sutter, 22.Érik Godoy, 15.Andy Rose, 13.Derek Cornelius, 53.Ali Adnan; 46.Brett Levis (12.Fredy Montero 45'), 8.Felipe Martins, 6.Jon Erice ©, 94.Victor "PC" Giro (4.Inbeom Hwang 62'); 9.Joaquín Ardaiz (7.Lucas Venuto 71')
Substitutes not used
16.Maxime Crépeau, 28.Jake Nerwinski, 31.Russell Teibert, 50.Theo Bair
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 22, 2019
- MNUFC Depth on Display in 1-0 Loss to Hertha Berlin - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United Fall to Real Betis 5-2 in a Friendly at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Red Bulls and Vancouver End in 2-2 Draw - New York Red Bulls
- 'Caps earn another road point in exciting match versus New York Red Bulls - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Named 'Sports Team of the Year' at 2019 Sports Business Awards - Atlanta United FC
- The Goal King: Chris Wondolowski Cements His Place in MLS History: Week 13 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- Chicago Fire Midfielder PrzemysÅ?aw Frankowski Called up to Poland National Team - Chicago Fire
- Game on Saturday, June 1 at Stade Saputo Moved to 5pm - Montreal Impact
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Soccer for All Month - MLS
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Soccer for All Month - D.C. United
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Soccer for All Month - Orlando City SC
- Mexican National Team Members and Award-Winning Singer Luis Coronel to Headline Fan Fest at Inaugural MexTour Live in Dallas on June 7 - FC Dallas
- Know Your Opponent | LA Galaxy - Orlando City SC
- Sebas Mendez Called up to Ecuador's Copa America Squad - Orlando City SC
- LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo Added to U.S. 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup Roster - LA Galaxy
- Chad Marshall Announces Retirement from Professional Soccer - Seattle Sounders FC
- Eryk Williamson Called into Combined Preparation Camp with U.S. Men's National Team Roster - Portland Timbers
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Jack Elliott to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC return home on Saturday after midweek defeat at New England
- 'Caps suffer 3-0 loss to Sporting KC
- Crepeau provides late heroics to set up decisive leg at BC Place on July 24
- 'Caps become latest victim of LAFC at Banc of California Stadium
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Ali Adnan from Italian Serie A Club Udinese Calcio