Burlington Takes 5-1 Victory
The Pirates were held to only one run on Saturday night, as they fell in the series finale 5-1 at Burlington.
Jonah Davis led off the game with a triple but was left stranded to end the first inning. Bristol would not get another hit until the sixth inning, when Brendt Citta started off the inning with an infield single. Zac Susi's two-out single in the sixth would be the last hit of the night for the Pirates.
Davis' triple was his sixth of the season, as he became just the 10th Bristol player since 1969 to hit six or more triples in a season. The last Bristol player with six triples in a season was Jeff Newkirk, who tied the team record with eight in 1998.
Making his second start of the season, Yeudry Manzanillo earned the loss after allowing three runs on four hits and three walks while striking out five over five innings. Austin Shields and Jacob Webb combined to allow two unearned runs on two hits and two walks over the final three innings of the game.
The Pirates (27-30) now return to Bristol for a two-game series against Pulaski beginning on Sunday. Bristol swept Pulaski in a two-game home series earlier this season. Sunday will also be Church Bulletin night at Boyce Cox Field, as all fans who bring in the current week's bulletin from their church will receive $1 off admission.
Despite the loss, the Pirates remain 1 1/2 games out of second place in the Appalachian League West Division with 11 games left in the regular season after Kingsport lost 5-1 in Pulaski on Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from August 18, 2018
- Big Fly Dooms D-Braves in 7-5 Loss - Danville Braves
- Vizcaino Goes Seven Innings, Yankees Sweep Mets - Pulaski Yankees
- Burlington Takes 5-1 Victory - Bristol Pirates
- Cardinals Split Doubleheader with Princeton; Series Tied at 2-2 - Johnson City Cardinals
- Martin's Big Night Fuels Bristol Bats - Bristol Pirates
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bristol Pirates Stories
- Bristol Pirates, BBI Signs New Lease to Keep Baseball in Bristol
- Bristol Pirates Announce 2019 Field Staff
- Bristol Pirates Mourn Pitching Coach Joey Seaver
- Bristol Pirates 2019 Appalachian League Schedule Released
- Francisco Mepris to Represent Bristol in Pirates Community Commitment Program