Buccaneers Shutout in Game #2 5-0
The Sioux City Musketeers found the scoresheet in all three periods and kept the Des Moines Buccaneers off the scoreboard to come away with a 5-0 victory in Game #2 of the Western Conference Semi Finals on Sunday.
Sioux City got a couple goals from pinching defensemen in the first period to take a two goal lead into the first intermission. Brady Ferner crept in to the right circle and Charlie Kelleher found him on a cross ice pass from left to right. Ferner shelved the shot up and over the glove of Buccaneer goalie Jan Ruzicka short side 3:46 into the contest. Some precision tic-tac-toe passing resulted in Tarek Baker throwing the puck towards the crease and from just outside the paint blue liner Carson Vance deflected it past Ruzicka at the 13:11 mark to give Sioux City the multi goal lead.
It looked like Sioux City had increased their lead 6:44 into the second period but upon review it was revealed that Phillip Knies' shot slipped through a hole in the net as it went in from the side of the cage. Des Moines outshot Sioux City 11-6 in the second period but the Musketeers struck on their fourth shot of the frame as Kristian Pospisil made a nifty drop pass between his legs that was finished off by Odeen Tufto 14:47 into the period to make it 3-0 going into the third.
Pospisil would finish off a loose puck to the right of Ruzicka for a power play goal 7:33 into the third period and at 11:31 Jackson Keane added a goal to make the final 5-0. Matiss Kivlenieks made 23 saves in the shutout performance while Ruzicka stopped 29 pucks in the loss. Sioux City leads the best-of-five series 2-0.
Up next in the series is Game #3 from Buccaneer Arena on Friday, April 21st with puck drop at 7:05 PM. Tickets can be purchased by calling 515-278-2827
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2017
- Musketeers One Win Away from Advancing to the WCF - Sioux City Musketeers
- Buccaneers Shutout in Game #2 5-0 - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Postgame Recap: Game Two Goes to Hawks - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Steel's Stezka, Special Teams Secure 6-0 Shutout Win I - Chicago Steel
- Phantoms Blanked by Chicago 6-0, Pushed to Brink of Elimination - Youngstown Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Des Moines Buccaneers Stories
- Des Moines Buccaneers Announce the Hiring of Former NCAA Coach & NHL Scout Gene Reilly as Their Head Coach
- Des Moines Secures Welsher & Pick in Two-For-One Trade with Green Bay
- Bucs Acquire Boston College Commit TJ Walsh from Cedar Rapids
- Bucs Sign Isaac Novak and Patrick Schmiedlin to USHL Tenders Ahead of Draft
- Tom Mannino Named General Manager and Director of Player Development of the Des Moines Buccaneers