Buccaneers Fall to Sioux Falls 5-2
The Des Moines Buccaneers fell behind in the first period and were never able to draw even as they were defeated by the Sioux Falls Stampede 5-2 Tuesday night.
A pretty even period of play would leave Sioux Falls with a 1-0 lead after Josh Passolt circled Des Moines' net and threw a puck to the crease; it would sit just outside the paint and the first one there was Khristian Acosta who scored 15:26 into the game. The Buccaneers outshot the Stampede 9-8 in the opening 20 minutes but couldn't convert on any of their chances.
Sioux Falls would double their lead when AJ Villella blasted a puck that bounced to him above the left circle off the boards 2:57 into the second period. Six seconds after Sioux Falls had killed off a penalty Chris Berger kicked the puck to Isaac Johnson who stick handled through the slot and wristed it over Mikhail Berdin's glove at the 7:47 mark. Jack Becker would score a power play tally to give Sioux Falls their two goal lead back as he was fed just outside the crease to Ruzicka's right and he pulled the puck back to allow himself room to lift it up over the netminder who had taken away the lower half of the goal. Sioux Falls would finish off the scoring with Josh Passolt patiently waiting out Ruzicka and slowly skated from dead center of the goalie to Ruzicka's left before ripping it up into the corner at 19:03 of the period.
Des Moines would get the game back to a two goal differential after a Mario Ferraro shot pinballed off of two Sioux Falls players and was then swept in from the crease on the backhand of Matt Jones but the Buccaneers pulled goalie for an extra attacker mustered no goals and Sioux Falls would add another Passolt goal at 17:45 of the third. Berdin would end with 30 saves in the win while Ruzicka had 30 stops in defeat.
Up next for the Buccaneers is a home contest against the Chicago Steel on Saturday, March 25th. The game is Wine, Women and Hockey; for tickets call 278-2827
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from March 22, 2017
- Natalia DePauw Promoted to Regional Specialist in Member Services Department - U.S. National Team
- Buccaneers Fall to Sioux Falls 5-2 - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Stampede Blast Bucs on Home Ice - Sioux Falls Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Des Moines Buccaneers Stories
- Des Moines Secures Welsher & Pick in Two-For-One Trade with Green Bay
- Bucs Acquire Boston College Commit TJ Walsh from Cedar Rapids
- Bucs Sign Isaac Novak and Patrick Schmiedlin to USHL Tenders Ahead of Draft
- Tom Mannino Named General Manager and Director of Player Development of the Des Moines Buccaneers
- Bucs Announce Reorganization