Bruins Show Spirited Effort But Bested by Aberdeen, 2-1
AUSTIN, Minn. - The first game of the 2018-19 Robertson Cup playoffs didn't go the way the Bruins hoped after falling to the Wings, 2-1, in Aberdeen.
In a hostile environment, the Bruins managed to ignore the noise and control the pace of play early in the first period. Despite outshooting the Wings in the first, it was Aberdeen who struck first with a redirected shot that got past Kyle McClellan.
In the second period, the Bruins leveled the score off the stick of Reggie Millette. Garrett Dahm came busting into the zone and took a shot which careened hard off the end wall right to Millette who rifled a wrister past Matt Vernon. With the score tied at 1-1, both teams locked down defensively and both teams headed to the locker rooms with the score tied at 1-1.
In the third period, it was Aberdeen who broke the tie thanks to Brad Belisle. The Bruins fought hard in the final minutes of the third period, including pulling the goalie and getting a few more chances, but the Wings stood tall and took game one of the playoff series, 2-1.
The two teams meet for Game 2 on Saturday, April 13 before heading to Austin for the third game of the series on Friday, April 19. Tickets for the Bruins first playoff game of the season, and second if necessary, go on sale at all the Bruins vendors on Monday, April 15. Bruins ticket vendors include Games People Play, Hy-Vee, Holiday Inn, and Jim's Marketplace.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from April 13, 2019
- IceRays Win in Overtime to Grab 2-0 Series Lead - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Take Down the Brahmas - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Early Hole Sinks Bruins, Fall to Aberdeen 6-2 - Austin Bruins
- Generals Tie Series with 4-3 Win - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Wings Take 1-0 Series Lead with 2-1 Win Friday - Aberdeen Wings
- Bruins Show Spirited Effort But Bested by Aberdeen, 2-1 - Austin Bruins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bruins Stories
- Bruins Season Comes to a Close with 3-1 Loss to Aberdeen
- Zapata's Two Goals Help Bruins Double up Aberdeen, 4-2, Force Game 4
- Captain Lane Krenzen Commits to University of Denver
- Bruins Leading Scorer Sheriff Commits to Mercyhurst University
- Early Hole Sinks Bruins, Fall to Aberdeen 6-2