Bruins Hold off Wilderness to Take Game One
AUSTIN, MN - The Bruins built a 2-0 lead over the first 40 minutes and held off the Wilderness in the final seven minutes of the third period, to claim game one of their best-of-five Central Division Semifinals on Friday night at Riverside Arena.
After a scoreless first fourteen-and-a-half minutes, Valdemar Ahlberg broke the seal, tapping in a fortuitous bounce after an arrant Lane Krenzen blast at 14:34. The Bruins held the Wilderness to five first period shots and took a 1-0 lead into the break.
Austin came out firing in the second and hit three goal posts in about a four minute span. Alex Mella, Dante Zapata, and Ahlberg all struck iron before Mella got his redemption at 5:34, sweeping in a rebound from a Josef Mysak shot, and doubling the Bruins lead. Zapata picked up a secondary helper. Alex Schilling made several key saves including stopping Garrett Worth on a breakaway, and the Bruins led 2-0 through two periods.
The score remained 2-0 until the 12:51 mark of the third when Ondrej Trejbal rocketed a shot over the stick-side shoulder of Schilling to cut the deficit in half. The final seven minutes was all about defense and goaltending for the Bruins who blocked shots and kept the puck on the boards to survive with a 2-1 win. Schilling stopped 20 of 21, while Wilderness goaltender Ryan Fanti turned aside 34 of 36 shots.
The Bruins and Wilderness play game two of their series on Saturday night at 7:05 PM, once again at Riverside Arena, with doors opening at six. The game will also be broadcast on HockeyTV.com, AM 1480 KAUS, myaustinminnesota.com, and the iHeart Radio App, with coverage beginning at 6:55 PM.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from April 14, 2018
- Bugs Lock Down Home Playoff Series - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Game-Tying Goal Waved off for Odessa; Brahmas Take 2-0 Series Lead - Odessa Jackalopes
- Rays Narrowly Edged In Game Two, Face Elimination - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bruins Hold off Wilderness to Take Game One - Austin Bruins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bruins Stories
- Bruins Knock off Wilderness in Four, Advance to Central Division Finals
- Rochester Grizzlies Select Six in NA3HL Draft
- Bruins Take to Road Looking for Series Sweep of Wilderness
- Bruins Take 2-0 Series Lead, One Win Away from Round Two
- Bruins Hold off Wilderness to Take Game One