Brooklyn Hits Three Homers, But Falls 4-3
CONEY ISLAND, NY - Cody Bohanek homered twice and Francisco Alvarez took over the Mets organizational home run lead, but the Brooklyn Jefes' rally fell short in a 4-3 loss to the Medusas de Jersey Shore Thursday night at Maimonides Park as both teams kicked off Hispanic Heritage Month with MiLB's Copa de la Diversion.
Win: Vargas (3-4) | Loss: Vilera (3-8) | Save: Potter (1)
Cyclones HR: Bohanek 2 (8, 9) Alvarez (21)
Down 4-3 in the ninth, Branden Fryman grounded out to end the threat, leaving runners at first and second base against Jersey Shore closer Mark Potter.
Jersey Shore's Carlos De La Cruz homered in the top of the fourth to take a 2-1 lead. His two-out RBI double to left field, which left his bat at 112 mph, gave the Blue Claws a 3-2 lead.
Cody Bohanek banged two home runs, including the tying home run in the bottom of the second to make it 1-1. His long ball in the eighth cut the deficit to 4-3.
Behind 2-1 in the fourth, Francisco Alvarez creamed a solo shot to even the score 2-2.
Victor Vargas threw a quality start for Jersey Shore for the victory, going six innings of two-run ball with five strikeouts in the victory.
KEY CYCLONES PERFORMERS
Cody Bohanek: 3-4, two home runs, two RBIs, two runs
Francisco Alvarez: 1-4, home run, RBI, run
Nic Gaddis: 1-3, double, walk
Evy Ruibal: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
NEWS AND NOTES
Francisco Alvarez banged his Mets-organizational-leading 23rd home run of the season. Alvarez has mashed five home runs in September.
Brooklyn's Jaison Vilera made 20 starts, becoming the first Cyclones pitcher in franchise history to collect 20.
The series is tied at one game apiece. With the win, Jersey Shore is 15-11 against the Cyclones in 2021.
Cyclones vs. Jersey Shore, Thursday, 7 p.m. at Maimonides Park -- Coney Island, NY
Probables: RHP Oscar Rojas (0-4, 8.68 ERA) vs. RHP Griff McGarry (1-0, 2.79 ERA)
Audio: Brooklyn Cyclones Radio Network
• Discuss this story on the High-A East League message board...
High-A East League Stories from September 15, 2021
- Brooklyn Hits Three Homers, But Falls 4-3 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Big Night for De La Cruz in 4-3 Wednesday Win - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Drive Blank Ironbirds, 4-0 - Greenville Drive
- Tonight's Game Postponed - Rome Braves
- Hot Rods Reveal 2022 Schedule - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Blue Rocks Release 2022 Season Schedule - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Tourists Put Dash Away 10-1 in Game Two - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hot Rods and Blue Rocks Canceled on Wednesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Tourists Open Road Trip with Shutout Win - Asheville Tourists
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (September 15) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hoppers Win at Hudson Valley, Pull One Win Away from Postseason Berth - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Hoppers Push Gades to Brink - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Wilmington Rocks Bowling Green in 10-0 Shutout Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Brooklyn Cyclones Stories
- Mauricio Named Top MLB Prospect in High-A East League
- 'Baby Bull' ropes in top Mets MiLB offensive player honors
- Cyclones Season Ends with 3-1 Loss to BlueClaws
- BKLYN Clubs Five Homers as they Beat BlueClaws, 9-2
- Chacin's Solid Start Allows Cyclones to Leaver Jersey Shore Behind