Borysiuk's Overtime Winner Lifts Team Blue to Victory in Annual Blue vs White Game
Swift Current, Sask. - Jordan Borysiuk scored the overtime winner in the Swift Current Broncos annual Blue vs White intrasquad game to finish off 2021 Decor Complete Training Camp.
Raphael Pelletier opened the scoring early in the game when the puck bounced over a defenders stick just outside the Team White blue line. Pelletier took advantage, streaking down the right wing before firing a low shot through the five hole of Joey Rocha to give Team Blue a 1-0 lead.
Rylan Thiessen tied the game for Team White on the power play just a few minutes later. After gliding across the slot, Thiessen's wrist shot beat a screened Jacob Herman to tie the game at one.
Team White then ran into penalty trouble, taking two minor penalties just 31 seconds apart, setting the table for Team Blue to strike.
First was Daylan Weigel finding a loose puck in front of the net after a scramble in front, firing it home past the glove side of Rocha to restore Team Blue's lead.
Less than 30 seconds later, Cole Nagy deflected in a wrist shot off the stick of Sam Ward to push Team Blue's lead to 3-1. They would take that lead into the intermission, outshooting Team White 13-9 in the process.
The second period started off with some fireworks as Joey Lies and Tristan Serrao dropped the gloves just three minutes into the middle frame.
Team White pushed back in a major way in the second period, generating far more opportunities than they had in the first period. They also had a lengthy five-on-three power play, but couldn't connect.
Brady Birnie eventually cut into Team Blue's lead, taking a centring feed from Josh Filmon below the goal line and one timing the puck through the five hole of Herman to cut Team Blue's lead to 3-2 after 40 minutes. Team White outshot Team Blue 13-5 in the second period.
A back-and-forth third period still saw Team Blue leading late in regulation. After some intense pressure by Team Blue, Chase Lacombe tied the game for Team White with a wrist shot from the slot with just over a minute left in regulation.
Overtime featured plenty of chances for each team, but goaltenders Rocha and Larocque came up with multiple saves to keep the game alive.
With just 19 seconds left in overtime, Jordan Borysiuk scored the winner with a hard wrist shot from the right circle over the blocker of Larocque to lift Team Blue to the 4-3 victory.
The Broncos open their pre-season schedule on Friday night when they host the Moose Jaw Warriors at 7:00.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 15, 2021
- Borysiuk's Overtime Winner Lifts Team Blue to Victory in Annual Blue vs White Game - Swift Current Broncos
- Tickets Available for this Weekend's Pre-Season Action - Saskatoon Blades
- Raiders Acquire Jackson Berry from Seattle - Prince Albert Raiders
- Victoria Royals Sign Russian Forward Igor Zborovskiy - Victoria Royals
- Wotherspoon, Sceviour Ink NHL Tryout Offers - Portland Winterhawks
- Queen City Connection Thriving with Warriors - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Raiders Sign Five Forwards to WHL Standard Player Agreement - Prince Albert Raiders
- Sedoff's Return a Massive Boost for Rebels Blueline - Red Deer Rebels
- Blades Roster Down to 32 Players - Saskatoon Blades
- Cougars Sign McNutt, Shantz to WHL Standard Player Agreements - Prince George Cougars
- Single Game Tickets on Sale Now - Spokane Chiefs
- Giants Sign 2003-Born Forward Kyle Bochek to Standard WHL Player Agreement - Vancouver Giants
- Warriors Open the Preseason with 3-1 Win over Brandon - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Wheat Kings Hit the Ice, Open Preseason with a Loss - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.