BlueClaws Hold off Hoppers; Win 5-4 on Friday
GREENSBORO, NC - Dalton Guthrie had two hits and drove in the go-ahead run when he was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the eighth as the BlueClaws topped Greensboro 5-4 on Friday night at First National Bank Field.
Guthrie, playing his first game with the BlueClaws since June 10th, was activated off the disabled list on Thursday.
Lakewood (9-6/50-34) avoided the sweep, taking the final game of the three-game series with Greensboro (8-7/42-42) after the Grasshoppers had won the first two. The BlueClaws won their 50th game in their 84th game of the year, the third fastest for a BlueClaws team (2010 in game 80 and 2009 in game 82).
Nick Maton added an RBI double in the top of the ninth inning to score Matt Vierling from first base with a key insurance run. Vierling, who joined the BlueClaws on Monday, is now 6-19 with Lakewood after adding two hits and scoring twice on Friday night.
Greensboro got one run in the ninth, but Zach Warren escaped further damage to compete his fifth save of the season, four of which have come since the break.
Luis Carrasco (3-0) earned the win with two innings of scoreless relief while Ryan McKay (0-1) took the loss.
Lakewood jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead in the first inning off Trevor Rogers. Matt Vierling, who singled to start the game, scored on a wild pitch. Later in the inning, Nick Maton, who singled to reach after Vierling, came home on an RBI single from Jhailyn Ortiz to put the BlueClaws up 2-0.
Greensboro got a run back in the bottom of the first on an RBI double by Will Allen.
The BlueClaws extended their lead in the fourth inning when Dalton Guthrie singled home Rodolfo Duran, who doubled to lead off the frame.
Grasshoppers starter Trevor Rogers came out after allowing three runs in five innings.
Meanwhile, Lakewood's Damon Jones, who threw 38 pitches in the first inning, needed just 41 to get through the fifth. Then with two outs in the sixth, he was one strike away from getting through the inning, but Ricardo Cespedes hit a two-run home run to right to tie the game at three.
Vierling, Maton, Rodolfo Duran, and Guthrie had two hits in the win for the BlueClaws.
The BlueClaws head to Kannapolis to open a series with the Intimidators on Saturday night at 7:05 pm RHP Andrew Brown (3-1) starts the series opener for Lakewood opposite RHP Jhoan Quijada (0-2).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 6, 2018
- 'Birds Thrash Suns, Take Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Multiple Comeback Attempts Fall Short - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Tiberi Extends On-Base Streak to 19 Games - Columbia Fireflies
- Drive Complete Sweep of Fireflies on Friday - Greenville Drive
- BlueClaws Hold off Hoppers; Win 5-4 on Friday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- RiverDogs Execute Small Ball to Take Rubber Match - Charleston RiverDogs
- Ramos 3-4 Night Isn't Enough in Charleston - Augusta GreenJackets
- Kennedy, Tourists Complete Sweep over Braves - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 6 vs. Greenville (Game 82) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (July 6) - West Virginia Power
- Baseball and a Human Cannonball Kick off Lexington Legends Upcoming Homestand - Lexington Legends
- Joel Hanrahan Tabbed as Futures Game U.S. Team Bullpen Coach - West Virginia Power
- Hickory Crawdads Weekly Recap - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Bounce Back in Extras for 1-0 Win Thursday - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.