Blue Rocks Nip Dash in Thursday's Series Opener
WILMINGTON, Del. - Dash starter Aron McRee threw six strong innings, and Luis Basabe extended his hitting streak to five games, but the Blue Rocks blanked Winston-Salem 1-0 in Thursday's series opener at Frawley Stadium.
Basabe, who is rated by Baseball America as the eighth-best prospect in the White Sox system, went 1-for-3 with a leadoff single in the first inning. The 20-year-old is now 6-for-18 (.333) during his streak, which is one shy of the longest by a Dash hitter in 2017.
On the mound, Winston-Salem (4-11) received an impressive outing from McRee (0-2), who allowed just two hits and one unearned run in his third start of the year. The righty also struck out a season-high six batters while yielding one walk.
Taking over for McRee at the start of the seventh, Ian Hamilton once again shined out of the bullpen for the Dash. The 21-year-old tossed two shutout innings, punching out two Blue Rocks (6-8) and allowing two hits. The former Washington State Cougar has not allowed an earned run in first nine innings at the High-A level.
However, Winston-Salem struggled offensively, mustering just six hits on the night. Wilmington starter A.J. Puckett (2-1) dominated the Dash, tossing seven shutout frames and yielding three hits while striking out a career-high eight batters. Jacob Bodner relieved Puckett and hurled two scoreless innings to pick up his first save of the 2017 campaign.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from April 20, 2017
- Blue Rocks Nip Dash in Thursday's Series Opener - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys Steal Rubber Match from Dash on Late Homer - Winston-Salem Dash
- Pelicans Drop Rubber Match against Astros - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winston-Salem Dash Stories
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (April 19 at Salem)
- Dash Register 18 Hits in 14-4 Win over Down East
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (April 18 at Down East)
- Basabe, Mercedes Hit Solo Homers in Tuesday's Loss
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (April 17 at Down East)