Bisons Swept by RailRiders with 2-0 Loss
The Bisons closed out a seven game home stand with a rain-shortened 2-0 loss to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Sunday afternoon at Coca-Cola Field. The Herd gave up two runs to the Railriders in the first inning that that they couldn't recover from.
Both of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre's runs came in the opening inning of the game after a Tyler Wade single to centerfield. Following a force out that brought Dustin Fowler to first base, Donovan Solano batted his ninth double of the season to plate Fowler. On the ensuing at bat, Tyler Austin sent a sacrifice fly to Bisons centerfielder Roemon Fields to score Solano and give the Railriders the 2-0 edge.
The Bisons' best opportunity to get some runs on the board came in the sixth inning after Jake Elmore reached base thanks to a fielding error and Gregorio Petit was walked. But, with Mike Ohlman batting, Elmore was caught stealing when he was tagged by Solano.
Glenn Sparkman made his first rehab start with the Bisons after pitching two games with Double-A New Hampshire. The righty allowed two runs off of three hits and walked a batter in four complete innings from the mound. Chris Smith took over after a rain delay that sidelined the Herd for 42 minutes. Smith surrendered a trio of hits in three innings.
The game ended at the top of the eighth inning with John Stilson on the mound. Stilson threw out a single pitch before play was stopped for rain.
Buffalo returns to action on Monday with a road trip to their thruway rivals in Rochester. Southpaw Brett Oberholtzer (1-4, 3.40 ERA) will get the start for the Herd and the Red Wings will have David Hurlbut (3-4, 3.79 ERA) on the mound.
BISONS NOTES: The Herd moves to an even .500 record with the loss at 34-34...The month of June hasn't been the kindest for the Bisons as they are just 6-13 in this stretch...Ian Parmley ha the only hit of the afternoon for Buffalo, going 1-3...The Blue Jays announced that they traded pitcher Jarrett Grube to Cleveland. Grube had a 6.14 ERA with the Herd.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 18, 2017
- Clutch Hitting from Navarro Guides Hens to Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Knights Drop Finale to Indians 12-11 Sunday - Charlotte Knights
- Indians Outslug Knights to Complete Comeback - Indianapolis Indians
- Cozens, Florimon Homer as Leiter Picks up Win - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Swept by RailRiders with 2-0 Loss - Buffalo Bisons
- Gwinnett falls to Columbus - Gwinnett Stripers
- Louisville Drops Series on Walk-Off - Louisville Bats
- Chiefs' Comeback Falls Just Short Sunday - Syracuse Chiefs
- Norfolk squeezes out win vs Louisville - Norfolk Tides
- Leiter, Pigs Look to Take Series with Chiefs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.