Bisons Rout Columbus for Second Straight Win
The Herd collected their second straight victory on Tuesday evening over Columbus, 10-4, when Mike Ohlman and Raffy Lopez batted respective three-run homers.
Ohlman was the first of the Bisons catching squad to bring in a sizable chunk of runs in the third inning shortly after Gregorio Petit hit a single to score Rowdy Tellez . With Petit and Ian Parmley on base, Ohlman sent an Adam Plutko pitch sailing to left field for a three-run home run. An inning later with Michael Saunders and Jason Leblebijian on base, Lopez drilled a bomb to right field to stretch the Buffalo advantage to a dominating 10-1 margin.
The Bisons had a pair of productive innings before their catchers bolted through successive frames. The Herd added two in the second inning with the bases loaded up thanks to Lopez, Petit, and Ohlman. Ahead in the count 1-0, Saunders ripped a pitch deep to left field for a two-RBI double to plate Lopez and Petit to stretch Buffalo's early lead to 3-0.
Buffalo got on the board in the leadoff inning thanks in part to a Jon Berti triple. Rowdy Tellez brought the second baseman home when he grounded out to second.
Columbus put together two runs to begin the night with an Austin Jackson double that plated Daniel Robertson from first base in the third. Robertson drove in the Clippers' second score in the fifth frame when he batted a line drive single to left field to score Eric Stamets .
The Clippers added two more runs in attempt to claw back into the game in the eighth. Richie Shafer drilled his twentieth home run of the season with the first Matt Dermody pitch he saw to also score Yandy Diaz .
Finesse pitcher T.J. House continued the trend of solid pitching for the Herd. The southpaw opened the game up with six strikeouts in five innings of work. House gave up only two runs before giving Tim Mayza the mound. Mayza went a pair of innings scoreless. Dermody allowed two runs in an inning pitched and Wil Browning closed the game out with scoreless frame of relief.
The Bisons head into a Wednesday matchup with the Clippers with a chance to sweep the series. Cesar Valdez (3-3, 3.23 ERA) will throw for the Herd and Shawn Morimando (10-5, 3.46 ERA) will man the mound for Columbus in the 7:05 p.m. matchup.
BISONS NOTES: The last time the Herd won back-to-back games was over a month ago in Jun. 14-15 matchups with Lehigh Valley. If the Bisons can win three-straight tomorrow, it'll be the first time since Jun. 2-4 against Charlotte...Raffy Lopez's homer is his second of the series and his eleventh of the season. He's batted 4-8 with 5 RBIs in the past two games...On top of his home run and three RBIs, Mike Ohlman finished the night 2-3
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 20, 2017
- Pigs Sweep G-Braves with Win in Finale - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Drop Finale to 'Wings 7-6 Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Park Hit Wins It for Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Casali Carries Bulls to Win - Durham Bulls
- Late Rally Leads Bats Past Chiefs - Syracuse Chiefs
- Beato Sets Franchise Record in Pigs Win - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Gwinnett falls in extras to Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Solo Shots Send Tribe to Victory in Durham - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Shut out in Sixth Straight Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Early Runs Hold up in Bulls' 5-1 Win - Durham Bulls
- PawSox Extend Streak to Eight Wins with Another Shutout - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Pair of Louisville Homers Give Bats 5-1 Victory - Louisville Bats
- Chiefs Drop Middle Game to Bats - Syracuse Chiefs
- Bisons Rout Columbus for Second Straight Win - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- 2018 Anthem Auditions Set for March 24
- Bisons to Accept Canadian Cash 'At Par' Through April at Coca-Cola Field for Single-Game Tickets, Concessions
- Bisons Announce 14-Game Spring Training Exhibition Schedule
- 2018 Bisons Single-Game Tickets Go on Sale, March 10. Team Adds Several New Promotions
- Opening Day is Free with Superhero 4-Pack