Biscuits Snap Mudcats Win Streak
Zebulon, NC- The Montgomery Biscuits (19-7) snapped a Carolina Mudcats (12-14) four-game winning streak Tuesday night by a 7-2 final at Five County Stadium.
Montgomery mustered up five of their runs thanks to two swings of the bat. The deadliest was by first baseman Gabriel Martinez in the eighth inning, a three run homer to put Montgomery ahead by five and in the driver's seat.
Martinez's tenth dinger of the season gave Montgomery some breathing room after scoring four runs in the sixth. With two on and two outs, shortstop Reid Brignac lined a shot off the right field wall to tie the game 2-2. Fernando Perez, rated as the Devil Ray's Fastest Baserunner by Baseball America, was at first as he used all his motors to beat a relay throw by Eric Riggs at home.
Carolina starter Chris Seddon was breezing along in the sixth inning before Brignac's 18 double on the season. Scott Nestor then came in relief but had trouble finding the plate. Nestor entered the game with Brignac at second but walked the next three Biscuits batters to give Montgomery the lead.
The Mudcats were enjoying a two run lead of their own before disaster struck in the sixth. Right fielder Johnny Raburn scored in the first by a Lee Mitchell sacrifice fly. Mitchell would score in the fifth when Biscuits starter Wade Davis walked Jai Miller with the bases loaded.
Carolina drops to 11-40 on the year against Southern Division opponents and 0-6 against first place Montgomery. Gaby Hernandez (5-8, 3.48) will look to snap that skid in tomorrow's matinee game at 12:00. James Houser (4-2, 3.33) will start for Montgomery.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 17, 2007
- Braves Hold off Suns Rally - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- BayBears Drop Third Straight - Mobile BayBears
- Stars Shine with Six In Seventh - Tennessee Smokies
- Jones, Braves Hand Norrito First Loss - Mississippi Braves
- Crew Comes Through to Ignite Stars - Huntsville Stars
- Biscuits Snap Mudcats Win Streak - Carolina Mudcats
- Lookouts to Celebrate the Return of Wellman with Rosin - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Sturtze to Rehab in Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
- Stars Say Goodbye To Salas - Huntsville Stars
- Massive Roster Moves For Smokies - Tennessee Smokies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.