Birds Beat RailCats After Another Five-Run Inning
SIOUX FALLS, SD - The Sioux Falls Canaries (11-9) beat the Gary SouthShore RailCats (10-9) in game one of their series 6-3 after another five-run fourth inning for the Canaries.
The first three innings were quiet for both teams until the Canaries took to the plate in the fourth. Clint Coulter jumped on a fastball and singled to left field. Alay Lago followed suit with a single of his own, extending his hitting streak to eight. Trae Santos, who was back in the lineup Friday after being on the injured list for three weeks, walked and the bases were loaded.
Jordan Ebert and Andrew Ely both hit RBI singles, puting the Birds up 2-0.
Brett Vertigan stepped up next and hit a line drive into the left-field corner for a bases-clearing double giving the Canaries a 5-0 lead.
"I think we sent a message tonight," Vertigan said. "It feels good to help out the team any way I can."
The Canaries scored again in the sixth after a double play brought Coulter home.
The RailCats scored three in the sixth and one in the seventh on a home run from Andy DeJesus, but it wasn't enough to overtake the Birds.
The Canaries will be back in action Saturday, June 8 in game two of the series against the RailCats. The pregame show start time is scheduled for 5:45 pm with first pitch scheduled for 6:05 pm. Birds fans can listen to both shows on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 98.1 FM and AM 1230 KWSN.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 7, 2019
- RedHawks Take Series Opener from Explorers - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Score 11 Unanswered Runs, Complete Comeback vs. T-Bones - Chicago Dogs
- RailCats Comeback Comes up Short in 6-3 Loss to Canaries - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- A Dustin Crenshaw Special, Complete Game Five-Hit Shutout of Milkmen, Win 4-0 - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Rally Late Again - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Birds Beat RailCats After Another Five-Run Inning - Sioux Falls Canaries
- 'Dogs Hold on for Third Consecutive Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Defensive Woes Cost Cleburne in Close Loss - Cleburne Railroaders
- Seattle Calls up Former Explorer Tayler Scott - Sioux City Explorers
- A Night to Remember for the Explorers - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.