Big Night for De La Cruz in 4-3 Wednesday Win
BROOKLYN, NY - Carlos De La Cruz homered and drove in two as the BlueClaws held off Brooklyn4-3 on Wednesday night at Maimonides Park.
The BlueClaws (54-60) have now won five of their last six games and have split the first two in Brooklyn (46-68) this week.
De La Cruz's third home run of the season broke a 1-1 tie in the third inning. Brooklyn's Francisco Alvarez added his 21st home run of the year in the bottom of the fourth to re-tie the game at two apiece.
It was De La Cruz who came through again, this time in the sixth when he doubled home Nicolas Torres to put the BlueClaws back in front. Ben Pelletier followed with an RBI single to bring home De La Cruz and put the BlueClaws up 4-2.
Cody Bohanek hit his second home run of the game in the bottom of the seventh to pull Brooklyn within 4-3. After the Cyclones got out of a jam in the top of the ninth, they put two on in the bottom of the ninth but Mark Potter got a groundout to end the game and earn his third save of the year.
BlueClaws starter Victor Vargas (3-4) gave up two runs in six innings and Tom Sutera gave up one run in two innings of relief.
Nicolas Torres had two hits, his 11th multi-hit game in 23 games with Jersey Shore.
The BlueClaws and Cyclones continue their series on Thursday night with the final game of the 2021 season set for Sunday.
• Discuss this story on the High-A East League message board...
High-A East League Stories from September 15, 2021
- Brooklyn Hits Three Homers, But Falls 4-3 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Big Night for De La Cruz in 4-3 Wednesday Win - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Drive Blank Ironbirds, 4-0 - Greenville Drive
- Tonight's Game Postponed - Rome Braves
- Hot Rods Reveal 2022 Schedule - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Blue Rocks Release 2022 Season Schedule - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Tourists Put Dash Away 10-1 in Game Two - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hot Rods and Blue Rocks Canceled on Wednesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Tourists Open Road Trip with Shutout Win - Asheville Tourists
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (September 15) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hoppers Win at Hudson Valley, Pull One Win Away from Postseason Berth - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Hoppers Push Gades to Brink - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Wilmington Rocks Bowling Green in 10-0 Shutout Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jersey Shore BlueClaws Stories
- Uncle Vinnie's Show Postponed Until October 17th
- Home Runs for Heroes Scores Record-Breaking $91,000 for Charities
- BlueClaws Charities Accepting Grant Applications
- Former BlueClaws Set for Arizona Fall League
- BlueClaws Ortiz, Brown Named High-A East All-Stars