Big Mac: 'Blades Eliminate Solar Bears with Double OT Triumph
ORLANDO, Fla. - Captain clutch was at it again for the Florida Everblades on Friday night at the Amway Center in Orlando.
John McCarron scored with 5:12 left in double overtime to send the Florida Everblades to a 2-1 win over the Orlando Solar Bears, helping the 'Blades win the best-of-seven South Division Finals, 4-1, and advance to the Eastern Conference Finals for the second straight season.
After Orlando goaltender Connor Ingram tried to play the puck behind the net, Florida forced a turnover that Michael Neville grabbed behind the goal line extended and fed out front to McCarron. The 'Blades captain quickly got rid of the puck before Ingram could get back in goal to end Orlando's season for the third straight year.
Almost 90 minutes prior to McCarron's strike, Orlando opened the scoring on its first special teams' goal of the series, a shorthanded tally from Hunter Fejes. Fejes helped create an odd-man rush for Orlando and eventually snapped off a shot from just inside the left-wing circle that beat Florida goaltender Callum Booth five-hole at the 6:53 mark of the opening period.
Florida bounced back later in the first to tie the game with less than six minutes left before the intermission. Following a long battle in the right-wing corner, Riley Weselowski managed to spring the puck free and slide it up the wall to John McCarron. McCarron whipped it to Michael Downing in the deep slot, and Downing rifled a shot past Ingram with 5:58 left in the first.
McCarron posted his fourth multi-point game of this postseason with a goal and an assist. He has 19 multi-point efforts in the postseason in his career.
Booth again put forth another stupendous effort in net. He stopped a career-high 47 shots to earn his fourth straight win.
Florida has now advanced to the conference finals six times in team history. This is only the second time in team history the 'Blades have made consecutive appearances in the conference finals.
The 'Blades will await the winner of the North Division Finals between Newfoundland and Manchester. Regardless of which team wins that series, Florida will host Games 1 and 2 at Hertz Arena this Friday and Saturday. Friday's Game 1 will start at 7:30 p.m.
Join the FUN and 'Blades FAMILY by SAVING with Season Tickets or a Flexible Package that fits into your schedule and budget, plus receive FREE gifts and benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new Season Ticket or Flexible Package for the 2019-20 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private tours of Hertz Arena are available to select your season seats! Call the Florida Everblades Front Office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from May 4, 2019
- Cyclones Season Comes to An End Following Game 5 Loss - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Steelheads Game 6 & 7 Watch Party this Sunday & Monday - Idaho Steelheads
- Time Changed for Game 6 of Mountain Division Finals - Tulsa Oilers
- Big Mac: 'Blades Eliminate Solar Bears with Double OT Triumph - Florida Everblades
- 2018-19 Season Ends with 2-1 Double-OT Loss to Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Surge Late to Force Game 6 with 3-1 Win over Oilers - Idaho Steelheads
- Idaho Forces Game 6 in Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Elite Eight: 'Blades Sweep Gladiators, Run Home Point Streak to Eight
- Preview: Florida Finishes Stretch of Three Straight against Atlanta
- Sol Train: 'Blades Down Gladiators to Push Home Point Streak to Seven
- Preview: 'Blades Try to Push Home Point Streak to Seven on Friday
- John McCarron Signs PTO with AHL's Stockton Heat